Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/24/2008 5:54:07 AM EDT
Hey guys,

Mega Gators seem to be all the rage given their good reviews. Rainier and CWS sell them for $135 and they always sell out. I am wondering why DD's Ranch has them in stock at $110 each. I would have thought they would be gone by now.

Anything bad about Mega's nowadays?
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 7:00:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm guessing because alot of people like Pmag's and they are tight fitting in Mega's Receivers. I like Mega Receivers I think they are some of the nicest lowers on the market.
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 8:14:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I dont know if many know about DD's Ranch. I have had good experiences with them.

I agree that Mega are some of the nicest on the market, I have 4 myself. Never had a problem with PMags.
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 8:33:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I will check mine with some pmags. Other than that, they have been excellent lowers.
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 9:39:03 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Hey guys,

Mega Gators seem to be all the rage given their good reviews. Rainier and CWS sell them for $135 and they always sell out. I am wondering why DD's Ranch has them in stock at $110 each. I would have thought they would be gone by now.

Anything bad about Mega's nowadays?

Rainier and CWS have had a presence around here for many years and most people know who they are.  Until this post I'd never heard of them.  Looking in the industry section it appears they've only been a site sponsor for a few weeks.

But if they carry Mega receivers at such good prices I'm sure we'll all be hearing more about them.
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 10:21:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Hoplophile is correct. I have ordered the 8 or so Mega's that I have used from Rainier. John and team at Rainier are excellent to deal with.

I ordered my AR10 lower from DD's Ranch and had a good experience with that.
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 10:27:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm guessing because alot of people like Pmag's and they are tight fitting in Mega's Receivers. I like Mega Receivers I think they are some of the nicest lowers on the market.

Not in mine.

Umm, that doesn't look right.
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 12:05:31 PM EDT
[#7]
My mega lower has no issue with Pmags.
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 12:41:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
My mega lower has no issue with Pmags.

Mine either, but it's an older one.
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 9:04:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought my Mega Gator from DD's.

Also got a Saiga from them too. They are great to deal with and super reasonable.
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 5:01:13 PM EDT
[#10]
My Mega works fine with PMags. I got mine from Cold War Shooters last September.
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 6:05:48 PM EDT
[#11]
my mega works fine with p-mag's...i have a newer mega lower.
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 6:06:30 PM EDT
[#12]
will the mega lowers match up with a LMT upper as far as finish goes??
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 6:22:50 PM EDT
[#13]
LMT black is flatter than Mega. At least the LMT upper I had a while back was.

FWIW the Lauer lower that I had with that LMT upper matched almost perfectly.
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 7:10:10 PM EDT
[#14]
height=8
Quoted:

everywhere im looking has the lauer's sold out, any other lowers that match LMT uppers good? or do you know a site that has the lauer's in stock??
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 7:30:43 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

everywhere im looking has the lauer's sold out, any other lowers that match LMT uppers good? or do you know a site that has the lauer's in stock??

Check your IM
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 3:13:12 AM EDT
[#16]
I agree Mega lower + LMT Upper matches perfectly.  The color matches but most importantly the forging alignments match up as well
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 12:27:52 PM EDT
[#17]
How well does mega lowers match wtih a stag upper? Starting new build soon
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 12:32:37 PM EDT
[#18]
i have a mega upper and lower on my first ar15 i built. i like that they say cal multi cause mine is x39.

and they are damn sexy.

all future builds will use mega uppers and lowers.

Link Posted: 5/26/2008 12:46:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Mega receivers have a slight "sheen" to them.  Most forged lowers out there have a flat black appearance.

The match may not be perfect, but who cares?  

It's a battle rifle and a tool, not a HHH prized Holstein.
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 1:16:10 PM EDT
[#20]

+1
But if its sheen you want on a lower my latest build is a CMMG and it shines.
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 5:19:53 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought from DDs Ranch a while back.  Quick and friendly through email.  They got me a handful of lowers at a lower price than most.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 5:37:35 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Mega receivers have a slight "sheen" to them.  Most forged lowers out there have a flat black appearance.

To some that is true, but others want looks too. To each their own.
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 5:41:04 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

To some that is true, but others want looks too. To each their own.

You can put lipstick and high heels on a hooker.... but she's still a hooker.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 5:57:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Got mine from Coleman Tyler a few months ago. Works great with the pmag I have.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:55:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Here's a pics.  Top is LMT Upper/Mega Lower,  Bottom is Mega Upper/Spikes Lower

I was lazy so I didn't fit the Mega Upper and lower together, but everything lines up perfect.  If you notice that aside from the grease marks, the LMT upper and Spikes Lower have a smooth satin finish.  The Mega finish on both lower and upper are definitely black, but inspecting closer it looks like there is something else sprayed over of the anodizing.  It looks like a fine mist but hardly able to see unless you look very close.  The LMT and Spikes anodizing is definitely darker.  Both lowers have been sprayed with CLP prior to assembly, while both Uppers have not been sprayed with CLP.

http://jr-print.net/archive/mega/DSC00529-small.jpg
http://jr-print.net/archive/mega/DSC00531-small.jpg
http://jr-print.net/archive/mega/DSC00532-small.jpg
http://jr-print.net/archive/mega/DSC00533-small.jpg
http://jr-print.net/archive/mega/DSC00535-small.jpg
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:44:07 AM EDT
[#26]
I believe Mega's have a teflon type finish that is applied over the anodizing...

Ordered some AR-10 lowers from DD's Ranch yesterday... can't hardly wait to get one built!

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top