Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2006 8:04:51 AM EDT
I'm looking to build a new M4 type carbine.

I'm going the LMT route, 14.5" with a perm. phantom, and am thinking about getting a DD 7.0 and then having the phantom installed in order to save on weight.

I am a little worried however, knowing that it's never going to come off without destroying the phantom.  I don't think I've ever HAD to take the handguards off of either of the two ARs I have now, and I've had one for almost 5 years, but the idea still bugs me a little.

I'm leaning toward just getting a two piece and sucking up the weight difference, but I figured I'd get some opinions first.

Thanks. (unless no one responds, in that case, screw you all)
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:44:27 AM EDT
[#1]
So you'll have to dremel the phantom off, and drive the tapered pins out of the FSB.  As I recall, LMT FSBs are not easy to remove.  I think Kisara had one, couldn't dislodge the fooker and had to send it back to Wes at MSTN, I heard even Wes had some problems
Some people don't have problems with any manufacturer's FSB, provided you have a hard service, big hammer and some experience.  Point is once the phantom is off, your real task has just begun  I'm also assuming you have the tools to remove the barrel, for that's in store for you too if you install a one-piece FF handguard.
With a two piece FF handguard you still have to remove the delta ring, unless you go with something like Vltor's handguard.  You should also look into KAC RASII, you do not have to remove anything except the existing handguard, it's one piece and FF.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:54:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a 14.5" LMT with FF KAC and perm phantom, if doing it over again with a 14.5 I'd likely avoid the FF and go with either a KAC  RIS/RAS or the Surefire M73.  I just don't see that much advantage to the free float at the ranges I'm shooting at.

Just my two duckets
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:07:18 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm looking to build a new M4 type carbine.

I'm going the LMT route, 14.5" with a perm. phantom, and am thinking about getting a DD 7.0 and then having the phantom installed in order to save on weight.

I am a little worried however, knowing that it's never going to come off without destroying the phantom.  I don't think I've ever HAD to take the handguards off of either of the two ARs I have now, and I've had one for almost 5 years, but the idea still bugs me a little.

I'm leaning toward just getting a two piece and sucking up the weight difference, but I figured I'd get some opinions first.

Thanks. (unless no one responds, in that case, screw you all)

Either accept that you will have to destroy the Phantom to remove the handguards (which is unlikely) or pay $200 for a tax stamp and get the SBR.  If you want the light weight dont let money get in the way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top