Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/2/2009 10:00:48 AM EDT
Hey all, I'm having an issue with the products mentioned and I was hoping for some enlightenment.

As I was test fitting the barrel nut included in the Lite 12 rail I recently got off a member here, I found that it would not thread on to the receiver more than about 1/3 turn. I seem to remember reading somewhere (here maybe?) that some rail systems won't work with some billet uppers. I'm hoping that I just got a nut that was out of spec or something, because the stock barrel nut I have threads completely on and off by hand with ease. If anyone has any ideas, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Here's some pics to show the issue:

stock barrel nut goes on great:

DD nut... not so much. this is where she stops

Here's the rail.... the idea of a replica crossed my mind...

Thanks for any help at all!
-J
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:57:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I do not know about the Sun Devil upper, but I just installed one on a White Oak upper.  First though, the DD nut is not supposed to jam all the way to the receiver,  but that one does not appear to go on far enough.  The ring that the rail mounts to should be in place first, then slip barrel in and then see if nut will go on far enough to torque down to at least 35 ft lbs.  The rail mounting ring at that or any greater torque point will still be loose enough to rotate.  When you install the six hex bolts it will tighten up to keep the rail aligned.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:28:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I do know that the ring goes on first, the picture is purely demonstration, but the nut won't even turn 1 full rotation on the threads. Even still, the sun devil upper won't accommodate the hex screw heads, so it looks like a new upper is in order...
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:49:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I've installed 3 DD Lite rails.  In each case the DD barrel nut was very snug on the upper receiver threads.  However, when the DD barrel nut wrench was used along with an application of grease, the nut did thread on without excess effort.........  You do required clearance on the upper for the 4 bolts that go on the receiver side.

woofe
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top