Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2006 5:14:12 AM EDT
I've been going back and forth between these two rails for quite some now. I'm at the point now that I've realized that I don't know which I want for sure. I was leaning towards the Larue mainly because of the locking mechanism. I have to admit though, I'm a bit ignorant as to how the DD mounts as I haven't seen as much install documentation floating around for it as the Larue.

I was hoping that somebody who has worked with both could give me a nice side by side comparison between the two, pros and cons of each, which they liked better and why. You know, stuff like that. I'm sure that I can't go wrong with either but I'd like to be a bit more educated before I drop the cash. Of course, with the Larue being sold out everywhere that I've looked, it's been easy to keep my money.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:15:58 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I've been going back and forth between these two rails for quite some now. I'm at the point now that I've realized that I don't know which I want for sure. I was leaning towards the Larue mainly because of the locking mechanism. I have to admit though, I'm a bit ignorant as to how the DD mounts as I haven't seen as much install documentation floating around for it as the Larue.

I was hoping that somebody who has worked with both could give me a nice side by side comparison between the two, pros and cons of each, which they liked better and why. You know, stuff like that. I'm sure that I can't go wrong with either but I'd like to be a bit more educated before I drop the cash. Of course, with the Larue being sold out everywhere that I've looked, it's been easy to keep my money.

I have both - the lucking mech on the LaRue is the "tits".

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:56:45 AM EDT
[#2]
As it happens I installed a DD 9.0 on a friends carbine this morning.  At first we wanted to go with the Larue but I couldn;t find anyone who had it in stcok (circa two weeks ago).  After I got the DD in my hands and installed it on the carbine I'm impressed.  First that sucker is light.  Secondly the installation is easy.  You just spin on the provided barrel nut and lock ring, install the alignment pins and then screw on the rail itself.  I used a PRI lo-pro gas block and it made for a sweet setup.  Long story short; you cannot go wrong with either and I'll probably end up using both in the future but my next build will wear DD.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:05:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the LaRue 9.0 now and I'm going to get the DD for my next build.

They're both fine, the only difference is that the LaRue will not loosen because of it's locking mechanism, but it's slightly heavier than the DD.

If you want the lighter feature the DD is a better choice.

Some of the members here said that they use blue Loctite on the DD threads so it will not get loose and said that it works.

Installation should be similar exept installation of the locking mechanism of the LaRue is just placing the bracket between the upper and the barrel nut before installation and finishing it by adding two machine screws with blue Loctite.

Try to see if some dealers like G&R Tactical or Global Tactical has them in stock.

I bought my LaRue directly from LaRue Tactical online because at the time I bought it, end of last year, nobody had them in stock.

I waited about four weeks before I received mine but they gave me a free LT cap and a armadillo shaped bottle opener.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:35:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I ordered mine directly from LaRue. While I've never tried the DD rail, I don't think I will, simply because I got quite possibly the best customer service I've ever experienced from LaRue.

When I ordered my rail, I accidently put my credit card in wrong. They called me about a half hour later, but I had lost my phone, and didn't get the voice mail until about 4 days later. I called them back, gave them the correct #, and asked them to upgrade the shipping to 2nd day for me. The rail arrived the NEXT DAY, and they did not charge me extra for the upgraded shipping. And they included 2 of their bottle openers.

I will definitly be ordering directly from them for my next build.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:16:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I've owned both.....I sold my Daniel Defense to buy ANOTHER LARUE 9.0......I'm not a Detective or anything, but in some law enforcement circles that is something they would call "A CLUE"

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:27:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:40:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a DD 7.0 Rail.  Absolutely love it.  While I have no personal experience with the Larue FF Rail...I'm sure it's just as good.

Some are talking about putting loctite on the DD rail.  I chose not to do this for two reasons.  One being that it's a tight fit and I don't see it comming off easily.  Second...I like to remove my FF rail every so often so that I can properly clean my barrel.  Just my choice to do so.

Either way I believe you will be happy.  I like the weight of the DD rail...or should I say the lack there of.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:11:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I've owned both.....I sold my Daniel Defense to buy ANOTHER LARUE 9.0......I'm not a Detective or anything, but in some law enforcement circles that is something they would call "A CLUE"

Well actually, he is a detective. But that's not important right now. What is important is I'm waiting on a LaRue 9.0 to show up so the dealer can finish my new middy!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:37:42 AM EDT
[#9]
larue tactical for me.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:47:37 AM EDT
[#10]
I wonder if a trident or QD3K will fit under a larue
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:48:37 PM EDT
[#11]
There is very little difference between the DD and Larue; what tipped me to the Larue was the anti-spin lock, steel barrel nut, and shorter bottom rail.

But you can get a steel DD nut also, and some like the lower bottom rail because it makes the handguard more "oval" in cross section.

I just wish I had known Larue was going to come out with the new version with QD sling swivel mount Since I have not installed it yet, I'm halfway inclined to flip my older version on the EE and get the latest-latest
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:43:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a DD 9.0 and love it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:07:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Definately buy the LaRue system. The quality is superb!

+1 for LT.

lrod
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:19:47 AM EDT
[#14]
I own a DD 7.0, LT 12.0, and a DD 9.0.  The DD 9.0 and LT 12.0 are installed to extend over the gas block.  I much prefer doing this with the DD as it allows you to simply shave the FSB and re-install the stock taper pins, while the LT requires you to buy a dedicated LT low profile gas block and install it with set-screws (which I've never felt completely comfortable with).

I also prefer the lighter weight of the DD, especially when going with a longer rail like a 12.0 or a 9.0; if I was using a 7.0 the weight difference wouldn't be as much of an issue.

I only have two complaints about the DD.  The first is the overall height, which is greater than that of the LT.  Both rails have an almost identical width.  The second is the lack of a locking mechanism, but to date I have not had either of my DD rails come loose.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:17:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:07:24 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't think these types of handguards are going away soon.

A knowlegable person who I will not name said the new handguards that are held in place by the multiple screws around the barrel nut will probably turn out to be failures.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:13:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:43:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Former military guy now working in the industry. Said the screws will not hold up to field use. Quote:

All the other "systems" than clam-shell or clamp to the standard barrel nut after removing the Delta Ring and are held secure with multible screws are all doomed to eventual failure in the hands of troops (based on my experience both as a User and a Small Arms Ordnance Officer who maintained 5,000+ M16A1's.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:44:13 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Former military guy now working in the industry. Said the screws will not hold up to field use. Quote:

All the other "systems" than clam-shell or clamp to the standard barrel nut after removing the Delta Ring and are held secure with multible screws are all doomed to eventual failure in the hands of troops (based on my experience both as a User and a Small Arms Ordnance Officer who maintained 5,000+ M16A1's.

This does not describe either of the rail systems in question in this thread.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:54:39 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This does not describe either of the rail systems in question in this thread.

Correct. In my first post in this thread I made the point that the types of rail systems in question are still better than the newer types.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:20:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:13:38 PM EDT
[#22]
I am on-topic in the sense that I was passing on advice to stick to these handguards instead of haring off to the new types when they arrive, which many here will undoubtably do. And I gave him some pros and cons betwwen the Larue and DD, so I will sleep soundly tonight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top