Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2005 5:31:18 PM EDT
I was talking to a guy at the last Highpower match and he told me I need to get a free-float tube for my RRA 20".  He said someone makes one that goes under the handguards instead of replacing them.  Anybody heard of these?  Any help would be highly appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:57:28 PM EDT
[#1]
It takes a little know-how to install, specifically you need to remove the FSB off the barrel and remove the barrel from the receiver.  There are different styles out there, and some say that some are better than others.  I'm just showing you this one as an example.  I don't know which is better.  I do know it is best to buy them with the included handguards.  Otherwise you have to modify your own.

Link
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:01:08 PM EDT
[#2]
This from RRA

HERE on rockriverarms.com

You can also buy it from ADCO for $116 + $4 shipping HERE

Hope this helps.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:03:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Mongo.  So the second two items on that are the sleeve with handguards included?  Anybody sell something cheaper (not quality-wise though)?  If it's very difficult I may just have to send the upper to someone who could do it for me.  Any recommendations?

ETA Thanks also to Wizzo
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:04:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks Mongo.  So the second two items on that are the sleeve with handguards included?  Anybody sell something cheaper (not quality-wise though)?  If it's very difficult I may just have to send the upper to someone who could do it for me.  Any recommendations?

They all run $100+.  You might find one on sale somewhere, but I'd expect to pay at least $100 for a new one.  You might run across a used one.  I did.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:38:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

ETA Thanks also to Wizzo

You won't find one cheaper or better than the RRA DCM tube. Hanguards will have to be moded and swivel lugs removed from FSB. Ask around at your local match for someone to install it for you if you aren't comfortable with doing it yourself or just send the whole rifle to RRA and have thier shop install one for you.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:40:45 PM EDT
[#6]
That would be ideal (the RRA idea), but I've heard they're way behind and I don't want to wait for 3 months or whatever.  I'll try to find someone at the next match.  Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:56:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a feeling that the NM float tube is not as highly sought after as a mid-length upper or an M4 upper right now, so the wait for it might not be what you think.

Best thing to do would be call around (possibly ADCO like I mentioned above because they had the tubes in stock and the price I mentioned was with the hand guards) and see who has what you want. Just a warning, if you go through RRA directly, you will pay more. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

Hope this helps

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:59:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Check out Compass Lake Engineering or White Oak Armament/White Oak Precision.  Either of those guys will set you up right.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:43:05 AM EDT
[#9]
How quickly do you want it and what part of TX are you in?  I've got a Bushy DCM that I'm prolly going to change into an SPR here soon, and I won't need that freefloat tube and guards, which looks exactly like the RRA tube that Mongo put up.  Might be able to work something out if you're interested.
ETA:  The Bushy DCM uses the CLE float tube.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:14:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

ETA Thanks also to Wizzo

My recommendation is to get the tube made by White Oak Armament. It is stout and at a good price from Adco.

Click on the link and scroll down to the bottom of the page.

www.adcofirearms.com/acc/ProductLine2.cfm?brand=White%20Oak&page=woa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top