Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2005 7:43:51 PM EDT
I have built a DCM-type rifle with a Colt Blue Label 1/7" HBAR barrel.  I am using Armalites DCM free-float tube.  I want to take stress off the barrel and replace the taper pins for attachment with set screws.

I would like to know if anyone offers a front sight tree with set screws so I do not have to make one.
I have noticed from the way the sling stud struts under the rear of the tree that it would be block getting to the rear set screw.  Will just one set screw in the front band do the trick?

TIA

Link Posted: 10/8/2005 5:25:09 AM EDT
[#1]
One trick I've heard of is to drill out and tap all four holes where the taper pins go thru the front sight base and screw in allen head screws. This way you can adjust for windage with the front sight base by adjusting the screws.  Now is this trick DMC legal Someone with more knowledge about DMC comp is going to have to answer that.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 5:38:28 AM EDT
[#2]
The Old FSB can be drilled for the 4 set screws where the taper pins go threw.  

The barrel taper pin slots will need to be filled, and flats cut at the set-screw locations so the set screw tips have something to bit into.

The swivel on the FSB should be removed, and you will use the swivel location on the front of the tube instead (read allows you to sling up tight without putting tension on the barrel).  As for a filler for the FSB old swivel location, I just use a piece of round stock and roll pin to fill the old FSB swivel ears void.

Bounce me a Email, and I can send you a photo of the filler.  As for the barrel flats, there is no way in hell I'm tearing down a DCM rig to so you can see them.  Maybe someone else has a photo of the barrel flats that they can post.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 9:49:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, set-screws are DCM legal.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 5:38:24 PM EDT
[#4]
www.whiteoakarmament.com   sells  windage adjustable front sight base.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 6:29:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Why is it called DCM?  Director of Civilian Marksmanship is the lead military positions for the Civilian Marksmanship Program correct?  Just curious.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 6:45:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Why is it called DCM?  Director of Civilian Marksmanship is the lead military positions for the Civilian Marksmanship Program correct?  Just curious.

DCM was the old name for the entire program when it was under the US Army's control, and CMP is the new name that was created when it was privatized.....
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 5:58:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have built a DCM-type rifle with a Colt Blue Label 1/7" HBAR barrel.  I am using Armalites DCM free-float tube.  I want to take stress off the barrel and replace the taper pins for attachment with set screws.

I would like to know if anyone offers a front sight tree with set screws so I do not have to make one.
I have noticed from the way the sling stud struts under the rear of the tree that it would be block getting to the rear set screw.  Will just one set screw in the front band do the trick?

TIA

What you wan't to do is really a waste of time, effort and $, no offense intended . If you were a hard holding Highmaster Service rifle shooter and using a top end $$$$  barrel .......

The FF tube sling stud won't obstruct 4x set screws but you will have to remove the FSB sling boss's. As long as you have no windage zero problems as is, your best to keep the taper pins as they are the least of your possible accuracy problems.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 9:47:27 PM EDT
[#8]
If it ain't broke...

This Colt barrel is already a shooter with the heavy bullets.  I'll leave it alone.

Thanks tangeant - and all
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top