Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/7/2005 7:25:26 PM EDT
I am close to getting my next AR. I REALLY want to get an SBR of some sort for work (I'm a deputy sheriff in western NC) and play off duty.

I can buy one to start with, but a dealer suggested just buying a regular M-4 type rifle an having the barrel professionally cut to SBR length once the Form is approved.

Thoughts on this route?

Who would you guys suggest I have do the work?

I am basically wanting Commando length, or something close to it. I'm STRONGLY leaning toward 6.8.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:45:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/7/2005 7:48:02 PM EDT by gcpd19]
I had thought about doing this to a Colt 6721 that I used to own. The only problem is the chrome lined barrel. Unless you have someone that really knows what they are doing cutting wise and gas port wise, you basically end up with a club. My suggestion is buy the commando upper, keep it at work until you get your SBR license. I think you will find by the time you get the M4 barrel, get it cut and the gas port the correct size, it is about the same price if not cheaper to purchase the commando. Or you can go my route, have your SD purchase Gov't surplus M16A1's and then SBR it.

As for who I would recommend, two companies come to mind:

Adco Firearms or Specialized Armament Wearhouse (SAW) which if I remember correctly their web site is www.sawlesales.com
Top Top