Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2006 7:33:42 AM EDT
Well - I wiped the sweat and cut 'em myself.   I understand the concern over removing the finish and the impact this might have on the hardness of the upper.  I decided to cut the ramps and monitor as the round count increases.  

Received my 14.5 in Colt SOCOM and snugged it into the CMT Upper.

With the Upper secure and good lighting I took a very small rounded (not round) file and installed the M4 ramps with my factory Colt sitting there for a comparison.  They look great and I have no reason to believe there will be any issues.  

There probably wouldn't be any issue anyway with an M4 BE and an non M4 upper but as a hobbyist and  self taught armorer Im calling this a succesful mission.  If anybody wants to know more about the file I can provide that - I picked it up from Sears and it's almost as if it was made for this task.

SC
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:37:51 AM EDT
[#1]
How come you didn't get a CMT upper with rhe cuts?

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:39:37 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
How come you didn't get a CMT upper with rhe cuts?

Good question. Got any pics of the job?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:41:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Why would cutting these ramps be risky?  Shucks!  Half the time they aren't even lined up perfectly in the COLT M4 uppers halves.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:43:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:47:50 AM EDT
[#5]
polish 'em, and apply alumablack and no one will know the difference...

however I must say......

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:48:59 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Why would cutting these ramps be risky?  Shucks!  Half the time they aren't even lined up perfectly in the COLT M4 uppers halves.

yep, My LE6920 feed ramps aren't perfectly aligned, still feeds like a champ.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:57:30 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
polish 'em, and apply alumablack and no one will know the difference...

however I must say......

i1.tinypic.com/rvzzg2.jpg

And Teeth...................................
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:29:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I knew as soon as I posted this I would be made a fool for not posting teh pics.  Crap - I will see what I can do when I get home.  No better time than now to figure out this pic posting thing......  

As for not getting the proper upper? Good question, I have had the upper for a while and the fit with the lower is perfect so I figured I would give it a try.  

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:41:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I know it's not exactly rocket science but if you cut too much or too deep you then have a combination that wont work. Like building an M4 upper with a barrel fit with a standard extension.  I really wasn't too concerned I just wanted to do a decent non hacked up job.  I know what I would do if my Colt didn't match based on what I've learned now. ...
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:10:58 AM EDT
[#10]
i would have just gotten a facotry m4 ramped upper.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:19:40 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
i would have just gotten a facotry m4 ramped upper.

thats fine - you have a thicker wallet than I do.  I made due with something I have had laying around for a while that I got a great deal on and on top of it I bet I'm good to go function wise....  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:27:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I know it's not exactly rocket science

Oh I wasn't saying it was easy or anything.  I've never messed with it.  It just doesn't seem to be a critical spec.

Glad it worked for you though!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:55:29 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I know it's not exactly rocket science

Oh I wasn't saying it was easy or anything.  I've never messed with it.  It just doesn't seem to be a critical spec.

Glad it worked for you though!

I know - my post makes it sound like it was a major undertaking.

I would rather file the ramps than install a bolt catch pin for example.  It was a piece of cake and really not that critical I agree.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:42:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Out of curiosity - what advantage does it give you to have M4 ramps?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:31:56 AM EDT
[#15]
feeding reliability, I think BRII goes into it in detail.

For me personally I wanted to have the proper "fit" between my new barrel and an upper I had laying around.  I didn't buy the barrel because it had M4 ramps and I didn't buy the upper because it didn't have them.  Just a project rifle that I intend to shoot the heel out of.

remember:
m4 upper and non m4 barrel ext. = no go

non m4 upper and m4 barrel ext = no prob
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:43:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

None, in a semi-automatic rifle  It's like putting a turbo-charger on your car and never hitting the RPM's required to get it to kick in.  

Feed ramps are intended to help feed from the magazine when in full auto.  The cycle rate can actually be faster than the rounds can be properly stripped from the mag.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:06:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, if you got it lined up good with factory extension ramps then I'd say you're good to go.

I just don't understand when people (and major manufacturers) take a dremel to perfectly good standard ramps and end up no where near any sort of spec or regularity.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:20:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

slightly better reliability. If a mag is slightly out of spec(or simply worn out) bullets can exit and hit below rifle ramps, causing a jam. There was an increased need for extented ramps in the M4 due to the high cyclic rate, and the magazine not being able too feed fast enough. I personally think it helps with feeding longer bullets(70gr and up) Some say its not necisary for a semi only rifle, but id rather have it and not need it. Its not a necessity, but its something I like to have in my go to gun, gives me a little extra peice of mind.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:37:10 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

None, in a semi-automatic rifle  It's like putting a turbo-charger on your car and never hitting the RPM's required to get it to kick in.  

Feed ramps are intended to help feed from the magazine when in full auto.  The cycle rate can actually be faster than the rounds can be properly stripped from the mag.  

NOT totally true.  I as well as others here have had problems feeding OTM rounds in semi guns without M4 Feedramps.  Know your gear, and train how you fight.  For me, M4 feedramps gives me peace of mind knowing that I can reliably feed OTM rounds.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:47:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top