Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2002 8:31:20 PM EDT
  I've got a Colt M4 upper with a 16" 1/7 chrome lined barrel and was wondering if it could be cutdown to 14" and have my Vortex permanently attached with the pin and weld method to bring it to the required 16.1".  
  Is there any reason why a chrome lined barrel sould not be cutdown and pinned and welded?  
  Can anyone give me any recommendations on a person who can do this  for me?
Thanks ...
JD
[email protected]

Link Posted: 11/15/2002 8:45:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Certainly it can be done, check out KKF in the Industry section.
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 3:04:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I was thinking about shortening and re-crowning a chrome-lined barrel. I am very worried about the chrome flaking off at the muzzle when it is cut. The chrome is so much harder than the base steel. I have seen hard anodizing flake off when cutting aluminium.

Has anyone done this?
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 5:06:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes I have 2 Colt barrels that I have cut to 14.5" w/vortex.
The chrome will not flake off.
Just put a little crown on your muzzle.
They tend to shoot better if you do.
Scott
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 9:25:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Hard chrome does not flake off like regular chrome.
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 6:23:30 AM EDT
[#5]
JD --

14-1/2" + Vortex will be 16" long when permanently assembled.

I've used this since the Vortex first came out and it's an excellent combination.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 8:40:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Just a thought, but I went with the Phantom versus the Vortex.  My concern with the Vortex is moving through brush and/ or snagging on things.  I know we all work on not letting our muzzles touch anything, but I try to be realistic.

The Phantom will bring the length of a 14.5 to 16.1", just like the Vortex.  I've always heard they both reduce flash by the same amount, I would be interested in hearing any actual testing results.
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 8:49:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I've always heard they both reduce flash by the same amount, I would be interested in hearing any actual testing results.

I've never heard that exactly. What I have heard is that the Phantom is close, but the Vortex is THE BEST at reducing flash. I have both, in my experience, its true. Nothing beats the Vortex, but the Phantom is close. At least the older Phantom, I've not tried the newer one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top