Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/19/2005 11:56:56 AM EDT
I was getting ready to buy a LMT rear sight for my rifle (which is a really good sight, don't get me wrong), but I really wasn't wanting to spend the $115-118.00 on it right now so I just did the CCH or Cut Carry Handle.  It really made me a little nervous in the beginning but I used my Dremel, some Aluminum Black and below are the results.hat
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/3369/img06609zf.jpg
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/9537/img06612tj.jpg
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/9450/img06831ii.jpg
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/5262/img06806te.jpg
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:59:13 AM EDT
[#1]
HOLY HUGE PICTURE BATMAN!!!  

Sorry guys, I don't know why those last two pictures turned out that huge!

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:09:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like you did a great job making your own.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:14:21 PM EDT
[#3]
With some filing and dressing out you can round out the sharp edges very similar to the LMT BUIS.

Here's my CCH BUIS.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:56:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow that looks great...do mine! BTW I have two cousins that are ISP.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:57:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys, I can probably do a little more work to it. But, since it is my carry rifle, I didn't have a back-up sites and I didn't spend a whole lot of time on it.  The whole job took me about 45 minutes total!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:23:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice work, if I used my dremel on it, it'd look like some giant snapped it in two, I suck at dremel
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:32:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice job Introoper!   Yer giving me crazy Ideas...  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:50:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:29:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I had a carry handle laying around for almost 2 years that I cut recently, turned out great and I needed a buis for a flattop anyway.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:03:37 PM EDT
[#10]
CCH is how I roll too.  Works great IMO.  I took off the huge nut and chopped the post too, so now I have a quite low profile hex nut rather than a roller skate wheel hanging off the side...I urge all CCH users to try this.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:37:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey Gimme...  I'd like to see a Pic of your low profile hex nut....
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:04:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:21:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I don't have all my toys at my apt here at school, and the M4gery is at home this rotation.  I will try to get pics of it this weekend if I go home to shoot.  I'll look in the mean time to see if any pics I have do it justice.

Airborne
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:21:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Nice job!  I want to do this with one of my own.  Unfortunately I suck at the Art of The Dremel.

I may go for it anyway.  Cut a little less and leave more to sand down, I always say.

I used a hacksaw, and then cleaned up the edges.  I wasn't worried about it looking pretty, but it still turned out decent.  Cut it, and you will laugh at how easy it is.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:49:58 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Here's my CCH Knob Mod..............

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:42:18 AM EDT
[#16]

I'm still looking for a lower profile knurled nut ; I'm very keen on field repairability and modularity. Does anyone know what the threads are on these?

Mine's from a National Match carry handle; cut with a dremel, shaped with a file, finished with sandpaper, KG Gunkoted by Arin.

The key with the dremel is to realize that it's only for rough cutting. You need the controllability of a file to take it to the final shape.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:09:54 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm cutting mine! These are great!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:44:41 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
ucsub.colorado.edu/~wuw/arfcom/cch.jpg
Does anyone know what the threads are on these?

Shit.......I don't remember. I work in aviation and simply grabed a couple nuts from work that I thought were the right size, happens I was right.

Take the sight to Lowes and try a few nuts on for size!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:36:59 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shit.......I don't remember. I work in aviation and simply grabed a couple nuts from work that I thought were the right size, happens I was right.

10-32, but I cant remember if it is fine or course, is the thread size.  I replaced all mine with CNC Speed Knobs because the other knobs kept getting caught in my gear.  I will post pic's of my modified QRP Aimpoint mount and my LMT BUIS with the speed knobs as soon as I find my camera.

The LMT BUIS jpg did not turn out, I will retake it, but this gives you an idea...

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:41:03 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Take the sight to Lowes and try a few nuts on for size! hr

10-32, but I cant remember if it is fine or course, is the thread size.  I replaced all mine with CNC Speed Knobs because the other knobs kept getting caught in my gear.  I will post pic's of my modified QRP Aimpoint mount and my LMT BUIS with the speed knobs as soon as I find my camera.

The LMT BUIS jpg did not turn out, I will retake it, but this gives you an idea...

i11.photobucket.com/albums/a188/gcpd19/aimpoint004.jpg

Are those metal or plastic knobs?  They look plastic and if so, are they pretty durable?  That looks like a good idea.  They seem like they would be easier to use than the standard knobs.  Also, where do you get those?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:44:01 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Okay, where do you get those and how do they work?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:11:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Switching out the standard knob with another knob kinda defeats the purpose of removing the original knob.

Since this is a fixed BUIS I have no need to hastily remove it from the rifle so the standard thumb knob is really useless, plus by removing the bulky knob I can knock off a few ounces and streamline that side of the weapon.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:00:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Question

I have an extra BM handle. They want about $100.00 for theirs.

Is the BM handle any better quality than the ones you can get for $49.00

I could cut a $49.00 handle easier than a $100.00 one

GM

ETA: No answer so I just cut it anyhow, Filing on it right now
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:37:10 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are those metal or plastic knobs?  They look plastic and if so, are they pretty durable?  That looks like a good idea.  They seem like they would be easier to use than the standard knobs.  Also, where do you get those?

They are plastic covered metal.  go to www.cncgunsmithing.com and you will find them.  He claims that they are the same composite that glock uses?  So far they have worked out great.  As for price, they are $2.00 for a set of two, I bought six sets since shipping is a fixed $4.00
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:41:55 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Switching out the standard knob with another knob kinda defeats the purpose of removing the original knob.

Since this is a fixed BUIS I have no need to hastily remove it from the rifle so the standard thumb knob is really useless, plus by removing the bulky knob I can knock off a few ounces and streamline that side of the weapon.

Here lies the problem, on my end.  I needed something that would not catch on my duty gear as easy, yet I was able to take the mount of easily for whatever reason.  Granted on the LMT it takes off only about a 1/8 th of an inch, but I have not had a problem since then.  Where this fix shines for me is on the QRP, if you remember it has a huge knob sticking off of it.  I simply removed the original hardware, cut it down and installed the speed knob, works great...I'm not saying this is the best idea, if you want to mount it with a standard bolt and it works for you, then that is what you need.  For me, this set-up works best.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:48:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Here's mine. It's actually more rounded than it looks in this picture....go figure.

Bomber
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:00:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:06:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Ok, I finally got the LMT BUIS photos to work, so here they are.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:30:55 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Bomber, is that krylon or what??

Looks good.

Thanks...it's Norrels molycoat.

Bomber
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:20:20 PM EDT
[#30]
I was at Lowe's today.. they have a plastic knurled knob for about $2.75.. It doesn't have a slot, so I didn't pick it up, but it was about a good 1/8" shorter. Doesn't sound like a lot, but it'd help on clearance drills.

Maybe I'll chat with my friends in the machine shop at school.

The thread is 10/32.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top