Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/18/2006 6:48:25 AM EDT
I am putting a new flash hider on my AR and purchased a new crush washer. Does it matter which side of the washer faces/touches the flash hider? Thanks.

Ted
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:06:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/18/2006 7:06:49 AM EDT by M4Madness]
I believe that the common consensus is to install it with the flat side towards the barrel's shoulder.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:20:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/18/2006 7:21:41 AM EDT by machinehead]
yes there is a correct way in the tech manual. there is a little taper on one end. that end goes on the barrel first. this leaves the larger end up against the muzzel device. turn until hand tight. it must be torqued down at least 1/4 turn and no more than 1 1/4 turns. use only once. tech manual says if it is installed backwards the device will loosen up. ive done alot of em.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:24:42 AM EDT
Do I have to go in the archives and pull this up again?

This site was split like 70/30 on crush washer orientation.

It will work in either direction. It is really and aesthetic preference.

However.... the taper goes towards the receiver... with the larger end towards the muzzle device.

The other 30% were just wrong.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:28:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/18/2006 8:21:15 AM EDT by FALARAK]

Originally Posted By machinehead:
turn until hand tight. it must be torqued down at least 1/4 turn and no more than 1 1/4 turns.

That is the book answer. Reality is, not all crush washers are created equal - some crush with a small amount of force, some take a ton of force to crush. Some are so bad, they will hardly crush at all. I get them hand tight, then turn at least 1/4 turn until the muzzle device is properly indexed. Sometimes that is a lot of torque, sometimes it is a little. Never had one come off.

use only once.

I re-use them all the time.... especially if using a muzzle device that doesnt have only one correct indexing point (brake, A2, etc..) When using a Phantom, Vortex, A1, you can easily reuse them LOTS of times.

Even on A2's, I can often go another full revolution and get it to re-index. Doesnt bother me at all.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:16:11 AM EDT
FALARAK,

you are correct on all points. my answer was indeed the canned Technical Order answer. straight by the book. i am going to copy it out of teh manual and post it to put an end to the other 30%. this qestion comes up all the time. needs to be tacked up top with the other stuff.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:45:22 AM EDT
Thanks much for the info. Right now hand tight puts the Knight's QD muzzel comp about at 1/4 turn from where it needs to be. Thanks again.

Ted
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:52:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By FALARAK:
Do I have to go in the archives and pull this up again?

That's where I got my answer above from.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:25:37 AM EDT
Add me to the orientation of the tapered end toward the lower receiver, flat side to device.

Also, I will torque it down, then release it, torque it, release it until orientation is correct and the washer gets crushed to the proper spot.

I have no idea what the torque value is, however. I just do it, then go shoot it. Never had one problem.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:40:30 AM EDT
I just did this a week ago!

LMT M4 14.5 upper

When I took off the Bird cage, the Taper was Towards the bird cage?

So I went ahead and did the same? I cant get it to crush any?

and the crush washer that was on to begin with looks brand new!

I thought of useing the old style
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:57:57 AM EDT
vortex needs no crush washer
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:56:51 PM EDT
the correct way is the big end to the flash hider. The little end to the barrel. This is the correct way. Yes it will work the other way but why not do it correctly.
Top Top