Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2004 6:24:30 PM EDT
For installing a phantom FH what should I use a crush or peel washer? I purchased a peel washer with my FH without knowing any better.  What is the diffrence between the two? Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:29:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Peel washer is a PITA.  Peel, install, find out you are too big - peel some more, find out your are still too big - peel some more, find out you are still too big - peel some more, NOW YOU ARE TOO SMALL!!!!

Crush washer - install and tighten FH to proper index point - done!!
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:34:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I prefer a crush washer. I have spent a lot of extra time peeling away the layers of a peel washer to try to get a good fit and proper alignment of the A2 (closed bottom) flash hider. A crush washer simply flattens as the FH is turned, allowing a one-step installation. Alignment of the A1 type is probably less critical, but for aesthetics, a 12 o'clock alignment of the slits is probably desired.

Perhaps someone can post pics to illustrate the difference. I have crush washer, but no peel washers.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:45:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Damnit, no worries I use  a similar type of spacer for jet engine accesories. Ill make it work. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:56:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Crush is easier to work with......Peel looks better......
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:13:25 PM EDT
[#5]
When removing and reinstalling the same flash hider (to install a ff rail), is it best to replace the washer with a new one?  What type comes from the factory (Colt)?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:12:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Smith Enterprise says not to use ANY washer (crush or peel) when installing the Vortex on an AR15/M16.  So I guess you don't have to, but if you want it indexed (it doesn't need to be), you might want to check with them.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:21:01 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Smith Enterprise says not to use ANY washer (crush or peel) when installing the Vortex on an AR15/M16.  So I guess you don't have to, but if you want it indexed (it doesn't need to be), you might want to check with them.

He's talking about the Phantom, not the Vortex.  The Phantom comes in a version that has a closed bottom, so it requires indexing. The three I got from GTS came with crush washers.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:39:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:21:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Peel washers just require a little finesse , but you REALLY have to
Torque Down on the crush washers !
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:59:53 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Peel washers just require a little finesse , but you REALLY have to
Torque Down on the crush washers !

Is this usual for crush washers?
Are there different torques for peel washer vs. crush washer?
Does additional torque required to time a crush washer affect accuracy?
Is there a ideal position for the flash hider bottom to be at when hand tight, before applying wrench torque?

Flipping the crush washer around gives different hand-tight timing results.
Washer one way, closed bottom of flash hider is at 12'0clock, when looking forward. Flipped around, closed end at 7 o'clock.

Previous question:
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=199875
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:12:24 PM EDT
[#11]
The crush washer is just turned until you have indexed the flash hider the way you want it.  The washer continues to compress, so it doesn't really build torque.  It takes a bit of effort to start the compression, but then it seems to turn on alright.  I guess if you continued to tighten it until it crushed flat, it would then torque to 15 lbs
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:15:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top