Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/14/2004 9:39:33 AM EST
Crush Washer, Which side is toward the front or against the flash hider?
Thank You
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 1:09:28 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/14/2004 1:09:57 PM EST by DarkStar]
The proper orintation of the crush washer is the concave 'dish' toward the flash suppressor, it will fit the rear circumference of the FS...

edited fer spelln...

Link Posted: 8/14/2004 2:19:44 PM EST
Thank You Darkstar. I see what you mean by it fitting better that way. Thank You
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:16:06 PM EST

Originally Posted By DarkStar:
The proper orintation of the crush washer is the concave 'dish' toward the flash suppressor, it will fit the rear circumference of the FS...

edited fer spelln...

I tried that. Wouldn't crush down at all. I couldn't turn it more than 5 degrees.

I turned it around and put the dished part toward the barrel shoulder, and it fit better, and crushed just fine.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:16:05 AM EST
Is there any 'official' build info/manuals that show which end pointing where?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:11:27 AM EST

The "smaller" end that contacts metal is meant to touch the barrel. The wider mouth contacts the device being installed (e.g. suppressor, muzzle brake, etc)

mark
buda@TripleBreakProducts.com
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:30:35 AM EST
While all the above is correct (wider part of crush washer against the wider part (FS), I have seen them come factory assembled both ways...

Personally, I like the more streamlined look of the "correct" way.

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:07:18 PM EST
When I sent my barrel out to get a Phantom permanently installed, it came back with the wide part of the crush washer towards the barrel. It doesn't really bother me, but I was expecting it to be installed the "correct" way.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:29:23 AM EST
I asked Bushmaster to deliver the 24" NM Heavy-barrel ASSEMBLY with the A2 birdcage installed... well it arrived and I found the A2 birdcage plus this weird washer (looked concave/convex depending on how you look at it).

My machining/engineering experience tells me that this is a crush washer. The tapered/sharp part of the washer would most likely "chew" into the metal as it was being crushed.

I figured that it was cheaper and easier to replace the flash hider if it was excessively "chewed" out by the washer in a worst case scenario, rather than replace the barrel.

So what I did was slip the washer with the flat side facing the barrel meat, and hand tighten the birdcage until it was flush. I then used the USGI barrel wrench and timed the flash hider so that the bottom did not have any slots (all facing up). I didn't bother with a torque wrench.

Did I do this right? I know the crush washer orientation is being debated here, but did I do everything else right?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:27:00 AM EST
Sounds good, but you don't have to worry about the crush washer damaging either the barrel or the flash hider. It's made of a much softer metal than the steel of those parts.
Top Top