Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/28/2006 12:40:26 AM EDT
Anyone gotten a nose bleed with law enforcement while transporting an AR? How far broke down does one have to go with an AR to satisfy known requirements?  Any other ideas? This is for goinf from Texas to Arkansas and back vis Oklahoma.  I also plan to carry enough ammo in magazines for a match though it MAY not be with rifle directly (i.e. not locked and loaded but in same case as gun)
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:22:01 AM EDT
[#1]
In those states do not worry about it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:56:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I drove from Kansas to Ohio, through Missouri, Illinois, and Indiana with all my guns boxed in the back seat of my truck.  None of them were broken down or even had the bolts removed.  The ammo was all in cardboard and GI ammo boxes on the floor, the rifles layered on top in either original carboard boxes or plastic cases, and then a bunch of clothes on top of the whole thing.  

As long as the firearms are out of your reach and ammo is stored separately and inaccesibly, you are good to go.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:10:58 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
As long as the firearms are out of your reach and ammo is stored separately and inaccesibly, you are good to go.

+1

Keep your stuff out of sight (guns in plain view are a "steal me" sign, anyway) and don't do anything that would cause you to get pulled over.

No problems.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:23:09 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
How far broke down does one have to go with an AR to satisfy known requirements?

Subatomic particals.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:29:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
How far broke down does one have to go with an AR to satisfy known requirements?

Subatomic particals.

+1  there's always going to be that one dick cop, and he's the one going to pull you over.  If he can tell what it is, your going to sitting there for a while...
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:35:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Texas, Arkansas, and Oklahoma, you'll be fine.  Just have your rifle in a case, out of reach, remove the mag just to be on the safe side.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:42:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Rifles in a locked case with NO Ammo or mags in the same case.

If you want to be safe maybe put a cable lock through the reciever or remove bolt but I don't do it.

Make sure your Mags are not loaded to be on the safe side.

So far (KNOCK ON WOOD) I have had no problems even the one time I was stopped.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:58:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I've driven from CO to VT (through NY) many times with AR's and AK's.  I contacted the state police there (NY), they said locked and unloaded, no problem.  I also got the Sgt's name, so if I did have a problem, I would have a reference to call.  Outside of going through commie areas, I wouldn't worry too much about it, keep it cased and out of sight as stated above.

--VT
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:59:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Do they do random searches in your parts?

Why not just drive an appropriate speed and not get pulled over at all?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:24:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Do they do random searches in your parts?

Why not just drive an appropriate speed and not get pulled over at all?

+1, plus it save gas.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:31:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Where I live, if you drive the speed limit, you get rear-ended!!

Driving habits are only one factor in getting pulled over.  If you'r a crazy driver, of couse you'll get pulled over more.  If your and average driver, you may get pulled over anyway.  Vehicle type, time of day, day of week/month, local budget shortfalls, vehicle maintenance, in/out of state plates, personal grooming, and luck have much to do with it.

I made a LEGAL turn in WV once, but the cop thought otherwise and pulled me over.  After a very short protest, he agreed it was legal and let me go.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:51:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Anyone gotten a nose bleed with law enforcement while transporting an AR? How far broke down does one have to go with an AR to satisfy known requirements?  Any other ideas? This is for goinf from Texas to Arkansas and back vis Oklahoma.  I also plan to carry enough ammo in magazines for a match though it MAY not be with rifle directly (i.e. not locked and loaded but in same case as gun)

Been in Texas long?  There is nothing in the law that says anything about breaking down the weapon, storing ammo separately, etc, ad nauseum.  Ever seen a pickup with a gun rack?  What applies in NY, IL, and OH really doesn't matter here.
AFAIK, Okiestan and Arkanam don't have prohibitions on that either.  Check packing.org or the NRA website to see the appropriate laws.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:21:59 AM EDT
[#13]
In Oklahoma, the gun can be in plain view, assembled, and magazine loaded. Make sure it doesnt have one in the chamber. If you choose to carry the gun in a case, i.e., concealed, then it must be completely unloaded, and the ammo stored in a seperate area.

This being said, it would have to be an asshole to give you any kinda hard time about it, IMO. I sure wouldnt.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:46:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Wow, here in Georgia I just keep it loaded and on my back seat, under a jacket. Of course it's legal to do so here.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:47:58 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
What applies in NY, IL, and OH really doesn't matter here..

I hate to tell you this, but aside from our assinine in-car CCW law (which we are about to change), gun laws here are about as liberal as Texas.  The only exception is the fact that we don't have statewide preemption and our big libtard cities have some BS ordinances that are almost universally ignored.  But the same bill that will fix in-car CCW will also add statewide preemption of firearm regulation, killing the retarded AWBs of Craplumbus, Shitcinnati, KKKleveland, and Turdledo.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:57:31 AM EDT
[#16]
United States Code
TITLE 18 - CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
PART I - CRIMES
CHAPTER 44 - FIREARMS
Section 926A. Interstate Transportation Of Firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or
   regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any
   person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from
   transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to
   transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he
   may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place
   where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during
   such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the
   firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible
   or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such
   transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle
   without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the
   firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container
   other than the glove compartment or console.

caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/casecode/uscodes/18/parts/i/chapters/44/toc.html
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:29:01 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hate to tell you this, but aside from our assinine in-car CCW law (which we are about to change), gun laws here are about as liberal as Texas.

I don't know what you read into my post, but what I was saying is that the only laws that mattered were the ones in the three states that he mentioned.  Unless they are now enforcing OH law in other states.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:29:26 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
In those states do not worry about it.

+1
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:42:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Not to change the subject but, I'm flying to NJ and will be there for a few months on a job.  Does anyone know the requirements for shipping an AR w/ you and if this rifle is legal in NJ OR should I just ask my father to baby sit my rifle for me.      USMCM4
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:48:22 AM EDT
[#20]
"In those states do not worry about it."

Exactly,  I moved from Texas to Arkansas.  I go back to Texas all the time driving through Oklahoma and I ALWAYS put them in their cases and have no problems.  Plus just try not to get pulled over and you have nothing to worry about.  Arkansas law states that as long as you have the gun placed in the car UNLOADED in a place where it wouldn't seem as you are using it for self defense you are okay.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:24:32 AM EDT
[#21]
As long as the state you are in at the time doesnt have a ban on ARs, Its just like a shotgun or bolt action... Its just a rifle.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:09:03 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Not to change the subject but, I'm flying to NJ and will be there for a few months on a job.  Does anyone know the requirements for shipping an AR w/ you and if this rifle is legal in NJ OR should I just ask my father to baby sit my rifle for me.      USMCM4

NJ has some EXTREMELY restrictive gun laws.  Some of the absolutely focking worst in the nation.  

You had best visit with guys in the NJ forum AND the NJ State Police before you do anything that will very likely make you a felon if you get caught.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:09:57 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hate to tell you this, but aside from our assinine in-car CCW law (which we are about to change), gun laws here are about as liberal as Texas.

I don't know what you read into my post, but what I was saying is that the only laws that mattered were the ones in the three states that he mentioned.  Unless they are now enforcing OH law in other states.

The only thing I am saying is that when it comes to guns laws, Ohio is nowhere near some of the other NE states.  State law is pretty liberal.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:07:40 PM EDT
[#24]
My best friend and I drove from Nebr. threw Kans. to Columbia, Missouri with his Mini14 and my SP1 in the back window of his pickup. We had no problems at all. In fact, I don't think anybody noticed.

But then that was in 1979, too.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:26:09 PM EDT
[#25]
In fact, New Jersey is being sued for violations of 18 USC 926A, as mentioned above. If you follow the guidelines as put forth in that section, you are protected by it.

Out here... I personally have a copy of that statute, and the relevant state laws, taped inside my case just to be on the safe side... just in case I happen to run into an officer that misunderstands the laws, or just wants to hassle me for no good reason. It is prominent as soon as the case is opened, so it would be difficult for any officer to claim later that he was not aware of the law and was merely acting in "good faith".

Various State laws can be complicated. The Federal law is simple and trumps state and local regs.

TC
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:41:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Can't you just hang it in the back window in Texas?  Everybody else does!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:11:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Hi Guys:

The federal “Firearms Owner and Protection Act’ (18 USC 926A) is designed to address these issues.  In short, has long as the firearm is unloaded, in a locked case in an area of the vehicle “not immediately accessible to driver or passengers,” you are good to go, especially in mostly gun friendly states such as Texas, Arkansas, and Oklahoma.

Very strong suggestion from a retired police officer (21 years); never, never, never ask a police officer for advice about firearms.  Most police officers are not gun knowledgeable and only know what they have received from their limited and skewed training from the department.  If you want to get good information, contact respectable organizations like the NRA, Gun Owners of America, or a very good attorney.

Take Care…

MP5 Machinenpistole
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:31:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Whats the word on Minnesota?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:35:37 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Whats the word on Minnesota?

The NRA-ILA website would be a great place to start your research.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top