Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2003 3:38:58 PM EST
Short of contacting respective state/local police agencies, I was wondering if anyone here can offer any information regarding laws and crossing state lines with a pre-ban AR-15? As far as I'm concerned it's just a long gun and the same laws surrounding transporting any other rifle should apply.

I belong to a "bull's-eye" club here in RI, and plinking and other forms of general blasting are understandably frowned upon. However, back in upstate NY I have several friends with land for shooting.

I'd like to allay any legal concerns before traveling. Thanks for any insight.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 5:57:45 PM EST
As long as the state you are travelling to has no restrictions on AR15's then it's no problem. In your case it's NY so you will be fine as long as you don't stop for any lenght of time in the five boroghs(Manhattan, Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn, and Staten Island) If you have to pass through NJ just keep it moving because they have restrictions on AR15's as well. Keep the weapon cased, unloaded, and seperate from any ammo and if you want to add a trigger lock that is good idea. Just keepin mind that even in States or Counties where AR15's are legal you can still have troubles if you happen to get the wrong LEO pulling you over. Unfortunately I know from experince that no matter how carefully you follow gun laws during transportation, when AR15's are involved things can change quickly for the worse. Upstate NY is very gun friendly for the most part so you should have no problems there.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 9:30:11 PM EST
Originally Posted By oneshot1kill: ...Unfortunately I know from experince that no matter how carefully you follow gun laws during transportation, when AR15's are involved things can change quickly for the worse.
View Quote
I remember that experience. How have you made out oneshot? Did those idiots catch any fire for being so blatantly corrupt & incompetent? Just as importantly (maybe more so) did your AR find its way back home in respectable condition? ********** BW FWIW, research relevant laws of the states you'll be passing through, just to be sure. In some instances, the law can go so far as to specify the color (usually opaque) of the case that the firearm must be stored in during transport. Don't get ambushed.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 3:25:52 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/10/2003 3:30:32 AM EST by oneshot1kill]
Master_Blaster, That was a crazy thing that happened but after spending enough money to buy a transferable M16 on a good attorney, I finally got my AR15 back with all the ammo and mags. The court case ended with me running out of money so I couldn't fight it the way I really wanted to, but in the end I plead guilty to a Disorderly Conduct which is like a parking ticket. I paid the fine and they removed my photo's and prints from the computer under court order. That's the basics of what happened.
Top Top