Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/14/2003 11:38:39 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 12:01:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I really considered putting one on an A1 light weight trunk gun.

Then I came to my senses and decided to just get a flat top and an Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 12:03:13 PM EDT
[#2]
That's the combo Im sticking with
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 9:12:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Cute?

Was there something in particular you don't like about it?

-Z
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 10:26:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Cute?

-Z
View Quote

Do not be distracted by my use of flippant words.  Im not a big user of lasers, however I can say the switch design appears well though out.  My question for you is what would durability be like on a flat top uppered rifle?  I would be concerned that it could be bent over from a side impact.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 11:46:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Lumpy -

Actually I was really looking for any serious feedback we can get. We are in the process of a pretty heavy redesign of this product now.

Don't expect to see commercially before the end of the year. When you do it should meet basic criteria for durabilty, shock, submersion, etc...

Seriously though, any feedback or product requirements is greatly appreciated. After all, customers know best, right?

As for flatops, initial design is A2 only. Flattops much later NEXT year. I'll be asking many more questions when we start to get down the road on that one.

Stay safe guys...

-Z out
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 1:17:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mike, may I offer some comments/suggestions?

1) I too don't like how hight it comes off the upper receiver - way too easy to get hit & dammaged.

2) Why not mount the laser lower - just over the handgrip on the right (ejection port) side. That would eliminate the ungainly 'tower' up the side of the receiver.  At CQB distances the offset from the bore would be fairly meaningless.

3) I don't like the activating button location - it would be too easy to acidentally switch it on.  I have two alternatives:
a) a thumb switch on the side of the pistol grip (but that would restrict the grip to righty's).
b) move the button to where the pinky finger is - that finger is not really needed to hold the AR so you could find a use for it.

4) I like the use of the 123 battery - just like most weapon lights.  Good idea to keep it KISS.

Another options would be to put it in a foward grip - much like SureFire does for their lights.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:35:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Forest -

Thanks for the feedback. I think you'll like the next revision.

On the bore height, it was a Catch-22. Too low and you get interferance with hands and slings, etc... Too high and its vulnerable and you get increased mechanical offset.

As to port side, that would have been optimal, but the gases from ejection clouded the lens pretty quick.

For foreend mounting. Not this go around. That was a topic of VERY heated discussion around here. We wanted activation on the grip and didn't want a bunch of wires, so that pretty much dictated location.

Button location - Pinky? interesting...

Thanks again,

-Z
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:14:48 AM EDT
[#8]
A police officer shooting without the rifle on his shoulder? Sounds like a good way to kill a bystander to me.

I don't like the tower either but I was surprised to see a pair of lasergrips for a AR.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:45:26 PM EDT
[#9]
mike z, i have friedns that use the grips on a Kimber and a Baretta, they love them.  I think you'll find success with this product if you can find a solution to the "tower" design above the upper receiver.  Also flat-top friendly design would be a must.

i think there is something to a foregrip type system.  that is the hand that isn't doing too much while shooting..at least compared to the strong side hand that is keeping positive grip on weapon, squeezing trigger, etc.

just my 2 cents. Good luck with the product.  The guys at the PD were talking about it after we saw an ad for it LE Product News (i think).
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 8:48:46 PM EDT
[#10]
New-Arguy's brother?
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid25/pc85de006974c7a9a5c944579f70bbd4f/fd87dbbd.jpg[/img]
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top