Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 4/2/2006 7:55:23 PM EDT
How can you tell if ammo has crimped primers and bullets? Also, any way to tell if the bullets are sealed? I know you can often see the sealant around prmers.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:59:15 AM EDT
You can look for the crimp. That's your first clue!

You have to pull a bullet to see if the sealant is in the caseneck or on the bullet. You might have to pop a primer out to see if the sealant is in the walls of the primer pocket.

What kind of ammo do you want to know about?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:25:29 AM EDT
What are the advantages of crimped VS. non crimped ammo or vice versa? Is one better for reloading?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:57:06 AM EDT

Originally Posted By James_Brown:
What are the advantages of crimped VS. non crimped ammo or vice versa? Is one better for reloading?

Crimped sucks for reloading. The crimp has to be removed to get a new primer into the pocket without damaging the primer.

The crimp is a mil specification to help hold primers in the pocket so they don't fall out and jam up weapons and such!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:54:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By demigod:

I guess I understand that military spec ammo has crimped primers and is moisture protected. Is civilian ammo typically sealed and are primers crimped. I am thinking about the typical UMC, Federal AE, PMC, WWB etc. If these rounds are not, how well do they store? Also, when the primers are crimped, is it visible?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:04:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MisterC:

I guess I understand that military spec ammo has crimped primers and is moisture protected. Is civilian ammo typically sealed and are primers crimped. I am thinking about the typical UMC, Federal AE, PMC, WWB etc. If these rounds are not, how well do they store? Also, when the primers are crimped, is it visible?

Typically commerical ammo is not crimped. It will store fine, but if you are worried about it you can seal it with primer sealant. But frankly, drop it in a 50cal ammo can, add some dessicant, and it will be fine for 30 years.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:42:17 PM EDT
Recent Lots of AE are made with Crimped LC brass. UMC and WIN are not crimped.

And, YES. The crimp is visible. It's a small ring surrounding the primer pocket. All ammo will store fine in an ammo can. Mil ammo just happens to be a little hotter than commercial .223
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:33:23 PM EDT

Crimped sucks for reloading. The crimp has to be removed to get a new primer into the pocket without damaging the primer.

The crimp is a mil specification to help hold primers in the pocket so they don't fall out and jam up weapons and such!

I was thinking about starting to reload some (among my other 50,000 endevours that i want to start doing) and was looking into a progressive reloader and from my understanding on one of the strokes it pops out the primer. Are crimped primers only bad for the people who have the hand reloaders?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:07:40 AM EDT
Crimped primer pockets brass take more work to process the brass for reloading than non- crimped ammo. Ammo with crimped primer pockets as opposed to crimped bullets is no problem for the average shooter and an advantage for those with fulls autos. Factory crimped bullets are also not an issue for the average shooter - however there are pro and cons to bullet crimping your reloads.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:15:27 AM EDT

I was thinking about starting to reload some (among my other 50,000 endevours that i want to start doing) and was looking into a progressive reloader and from my understanding on one of the strokes it pops out the primer. Are crimped primers only bad for the people who have the hand reloaders?

Removing the spent primer is not the issue! It's the primer pocket in the BRASS that must be modified no matter what kind of reloading set up you opt for. It's the brass around the primer pocket that is crimped, not the actual primer itself. Dig?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:52:28 AM EDT

Removing the spent primer is not the issue! It's the primer pocket in the BRASS that must be modified no matter what kind of reloading set up you opt for. It's the brass around the primer pocket that is crimped, not the actual primer itself. Dig?

I got it I think. So the brass around the primer kind of overlaps the primer to hold it in place? So in order to reload you would have to ream it out a little to fit in the new primer. Correct?

Thanks for the clarification guys
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:34:48 PM EDT

I got it I think. So the brass around the primer kind of overlaps the primer to hold it in place? So in order to reload you would have to ream it out a little to fit in the new primer. Correct?

Thanks for the clarification guys

Exactamundo!
Top Top