Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2005 2:26:45 PM EDT
What is the absolute worst, least reliable brand of Ammunition you have run accross?

Gun Show reloads do not count. There is no way you could get me to buy those.

I want something that has a high probablility of causing my M4 to choke.

So far it has eaten Wolf Laquer and Spectrum plastic with nary a hiccup. Of course WWB feeds and fires fine. I just want to see if I can find a weak point in this rifle.

If Wolf and Spectrum feed and fire, then I know the Federal TRU that we use for duty ammo will work fine. (obviously that will be tested when I qualify).
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:44:58 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are looking for crappy ammo, here is most likely some of the worst

www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Olympic__223_FMJ.html

Not that I would recommend PURPOSELY shooting shitty ammo. If you want you AR to blow up you should try shooting calibers that the weapon is not chambered for.

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:15:57 PM EDT
[#2]
You mistake MALFUNCTION with KB.

My intent was to build  a utterly reliable rifle. I am betting my life on this thing going BANG everytime I pull the trigger.

If it will fire the crappiest ammo I can find, then I will have a little more piece of mind in case I end up with a duty round that slipped through QC.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:19:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Olympic SS109 is some pretty shitty ammo.  I don't quite understand why you would want to use crappy ammo though, unless you want to practice your SPORTS.  It doesn't matter how well built your rifle is, crappy ammo will still be crappy even in a POS rifle.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:07:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Bad ammo will not function well in even the nicest rifle. If you use good ammo, in a good gun, with good mags, you have very little chance of any failures as long as the weapon isn't filthy.

I have never had failures with LC or IMI ammo. I have never had issues with any Winchester, Silver Bear, PMP.

The only problem I ever had was with Wolf ammo. 1 round out of 60 did not feed correctly. Who knows, that could have been the mag. Check the ammo review at the top of the page to see which stuff is not really reliable but not really bad for your weapon either. Wolf is one of those.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:20:01 PM EDT
[#5]
OLYMIC all the way
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:54:08 PM EDT
[#6]
It's probably a tie between Olympic and American Ammunition, AKA Amerc, both are junk!  
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 10:08:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Santa Barbara....in 9mm only.   It not only looked shitty, it wouldn;t even function in an Uzi which eats vitually anything you feed it. The stuff that did funtion was the most inconsistantly loaded ammo I have ever seen. I wouldn't take it if it was given to me....unless it was a truckload that could be salvaged for scrap brass and lead.

As far as rifle ammo goes, I haven't run across any real bad stuff. That may be just a function of cautious buying on my part though.

If you are building a "reliable rifle"....use reliable ammo and there should be no problems.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 10:17:41 AM EDT
[#8]
LW,

What part of Indiana are you in?  Ive got about 1000 rounds of the Oly SS109 that I will give you.

Only catch, Im downrange for at least the next month.

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top