Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2005 4:44:35 PM EDT
Just bought a new LMT bolt carier group (regular, not enhanced bolt) and was just wondering what the O-ring helps with.

Thanks in advance

Red

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:24:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Extraction.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:42:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I mean, are there any issues with extraction regarding any certain bolts, ammunition, manufacturers and so on, where it would be beneficial to use the O-ring extractor.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:37:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I mean, are there any issues with extraction regarding any certain bolts, ammunition, manufacturers and so on, where it would be beneficial to use the O-ring extractor.

It's more beneficial to use it with M4 carbines, M16s and SBRs.

Other alternatives are Wolff extra power extractor spring and the D-fender.

Wolff website recommends their extractor spring should be used in combination with the new black extractor spring insert available from Colt.

Springs are also recommended for the AR-15.

Wolff Gunsprings website link
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:02:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info, im going to look into those springs.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:20:42 PM EDT
[#5]
do a search on any one of them, there has been a great deal of discussion between all of them
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:02:08 AM EDT
[#6]
FWIW, I use the Wolff spring, by itself, using no O-ring or insert and it runs fine, including harsh use in carbine class.  That's not as recommended by the manufacturer, but I'm still of the opinion that the insert does next to nothing, regardless of the color.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:17:47 PM EDT
[#7]
It makes your wallet lighter .
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:34:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I have to say I have seen a time where the black O-ring does help with extraction.  My bud let me borrow his AR-10, I went to the range and it failed to extract 90% of the time.  I think Armalite installs one O-ring on the extractor spring from the factory, but IMO this is useless because there is so much room for travel of the AR10 extractor spring that it did not compress the O-ring.  

I went to the local hardware store and picked up a second O-ring for .28$.  I doubled up the O-rings on the extractor and it ran like a champ.

Matt Carper
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:34:24 AM EDT
[#9]
AR10s require 2 Orings and this is a widely known fact.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:41:36 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Why doesn't Armalite fix this by making the necessary extra power spring instead of using o-ring band-aids?

Seriously, the fact that two o-rings are needed should be a clue!

Maybe Wolff will start making some AR10 extra power springs soon...
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:30:19 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why doesn't Armalite fix this by making the necessary extra power spring instead of using o-ring band-aids?

Seriously, the fact that two o-rings are needed should be clue!

Maybe Wolff will start making some AR10 extra power springs soon...

I've been holding my breath, waiting for that............................................turning blue.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:30:01 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Regardless of this being a widely know fact, the question was if O-rings helped with any thing or not.

Matt
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:05:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The question was if O-rings helped with any thing or not.

Yes, as they multiply the extraction force.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:51:27 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The question was if O-rings helped with any thing or not.

Yes, as they multiply the extraction force.

+1
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:43:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the info fellas. I ordered a few, just to have around since they are so inexpensive. If i have any issues, ill drop one in and see if it fixes any issues.

Just wanted to reply and say thanks for the replies.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:23:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top