Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2006 9:53:13 AM EDT
her.
I'm a friggin idiot. I tapped to hard, and snapped off the peice of ther reciver on the far side that had the opposite hole for the roll pin..

Should I just tap the roll pin through the broken peice to hold it on and live with it?

What's the best way to repair/hide this screw up of mine?

Update: Shipped it off to Stag on 7 April 06, got it back today (1 May 06), new receiver, stamped with SN of the broken one.

No fuss, no muss. Nice service.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:55:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 10:00:07 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Putting it together. .. the very last thing I needed to do was insert the roll pin for the trigger guard.

I'm a friggin idiot. I tapped to hard, and snapped off the peice of ther reciver on the far side that had the opposite hole for the roll pin..

Should I just tap the roll pin through the broken peice to hold it on and live with it?

What's the best way to repair/hide this screw up of mine?

Weird.  Same thing just happened to another person on here.  He called Stag and they said no problem.  He's sending it back and theyre gonna forge him a new one with the same serial number.

No problems with my Stag lower.

ETA - ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=275353

And +1 for Stag customer service.  I'm having trouble with my new M4 upper from them.  They emailed me a shipping label in which I printed, taped to the box, and dropped off at The UPS Store.  Postage paid and everything.  I gave it to the lady and I was out of there.  Tracking number and all.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 10:15:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 10:40:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Why the hell are you guys hitting your Rec.'s with a hammer?  I use Channel locks to put the pin in with no problems ever,  if you will dig around the assembly tacked threads you will see the method I am talking about,  except the builder uses a set of vice grips.  

how to build a lower link

some pics,

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 10:46:09 AM EDT
[#5]
If you have to force it you're doing it wrong.  You can't build a good weapon with brute force.

See above for proper technique.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 10:49:08 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Why the hell are you guys hitting your Rec.'s with a hammer?  I use Channel locks to put the pin in with no problems ever,  if you will dig around the assembly tacked threads you will see the method I am talking about,  except the builder uses a set of vice grips.  

That's good advice for the dumb dumbs.  Although I had no problem driving my roll pin in with a hammer.  If you have any mechanical sense at all, you can see that it would require a careful approach.

That said..  this is certainly not the first guy to do so, and surely won't be the last.  Receiver abuse!
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 10:53:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:23:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:41:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:23:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I am trying to get that pin out to replace the trigger gaurd, and I am not having any luck. I tryed everything but am afraid I am going to snap an ear. any advice?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:27:13 PM EDT
[#11]
My 2 cents:

Take a file, Dremel or a bench grinder to the roll pin and taper one end so it fits in the hole.
Makes life a lot easier.

Don't forget to support the trigger guard with a small block of wood when TAPPING the retaining pin home.

Vice grips with duct tape work well too.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:31:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Some roll pins are just too damn big. The one in the crappy Model 1 LPK that came with a rifle kit I bought would have broken off the tabs for sure. I carefully closed up the pin by tapping the gap closer with a small hammer.  

Try to start the roll pin in the actual trigger guard first. If it is way too tight close it up or get one that is the right dimension.

rj
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:40:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:52:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:15:19 PM EDT
[#15]
No Roll Pin Needed!

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:25:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
No Roll Pin Needed!

www.bizplaces.com/magpul/images/Products/miad1.jpg

Gotta love em
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:25:30 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

That's what I do too.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:26:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
No Roll Pin Needed!

yea but one does go in the back of the grip, and that's a bitch to get back out, and how the @#$K do you get the roll pin out in the first place with out a hammer because I had to, well  I used the org colt plastic buffer,  I had to find some use for it
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:28:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:36:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:47:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:08:22 PM EDT
[#22]
I just got lucky.  I finished putting together a Stag lower five minutes before I read this.  I tapped the pin in with a brass hammer(notice I said tapped), without supporting the ears before doing so.  I forgot the rule of supporting the ears if tapping the pin in with a hammer.  I would do the squeeze with taped vice grips method, but I am such a clutz, I would probably mar the finish, even with taped pliers.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:49:34 PM EDT
[#23]
I hit mine in with a hammer unsupported and it's fine.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:23:27 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
No Roll Pin Needed!

I'd rather wear a dress at the range!  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:32:06 AM EDT
[#25]
a little oil on the pin and using the brass end of the hammer I have never had a problem..you just need to hit the pin true and not anything else.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:24:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Man Im sorry about your luck!

I hope STAG will send ya a new one ?

You might just send it to them to fix and cross your fingers you get a NEW ONE
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:44:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Learned my lesson in 1981 when I did my first build with a cast ER Sales ER15 lower. Broke it in the same way. Their solution was to MiG weld the broken piece back on. It didn't look good, so I got rid of it.

After that I started using a small arbor press with a small block of wood placed underneath the bottom lug for support.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:53:47 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
No Roll Pin Needed!

Hahahahaha, thats a picture of my guns!!!

Hahahahaha, that's a picture of my vise grips!!!

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:57:07 PM EDT
[#29]
I saw where one fellow machined away the broken tab, and into the receiver, drilled and tapped into the grip tang just ahead of the grip screw hole.  He attached a new tab cut from a piece of sheet aluminum with some flathead screws countersunk into the new tab.  And painted the new aluminum black.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:06:41 PM EDT
[#30]
This reminds me, I have 4 defective Stag lowers that I was told by someone at CMT would be replaced.  I need to ship those off.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:14:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:41:59 PM EDT
[#32]
I installed the trigger guard on my Stag rec. yesterday with a Magpul winter gaurd.     The roll pin that came with the Magpul was fatter than the one I took out.   I was able to get it started but I could see a disaster about to happen, a little too tight.  So I just used the original pin, tapped back in no woories.  

Like I said, the pin that came with my Magpul was to big for comfort.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:59:13 PM EDT
[#33]
That sucks man...  cross your fingers and pick up the phone - maybe STAG will be nice enough to send you a new one.  I know when I was building my RRA lower, that roll pin was more a pain in the ass than anything else  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:07:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Bummer.  

I updated the instructions to be a little more clear here.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:55:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Good news for me.

Just got offa phone with Stag.

3-4 weeks, they'll return me a new receiver with the same serial number on it.

Can't complain about that... fixin' my stupid mistake for free!!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:02:24 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
3-4 weeks, they'll return me a new receiver with the same serial number on it.

Can't complain about that... fixin' my stupid mistake for free!!

that's pretty nice of Stag to do that.  Seems like CMT/Stag is doing a good job on customer service...
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:03:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Great news.

Now all I need is some of those tactical green vice grips.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:18:02 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
No Roll Pin Needed!

I drilled mine out and put the rollpin in anyway. It would probably never matter but it bothered me not being there.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:23:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top