Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/9/2003 1:46:55 PM EDT
I have several well used USGI 30 rd mags that have minute cracks at the rear upper portion of the feed lips where the aluminum bends.Do these cracks affect reliability?Do they develop to a certain point and then stop, or do they continue until the feedlip breaks off?Are they worth investing in new green followers and springs ? They seem to function fine.
                  Mike
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 11:30:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 4:36:25 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks troy,thats kinda what I figured.I was just hoping for some good news like (they only crack so far then they stop,but they still work just fine).
                    Mike
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 2:34:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Has anybody tried those low temp aluminum brazing rods to repair USGI mags.

Something like
[url]http://divescoinc.com/product.htm[/url]

I've got a rod a friend gave me, but no cracked mags.  I'm curious if it would work.

Hoppy
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 2:59:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Best to save them for "malfunction" mag training. (mark them so you'll know, "that is" when they finally fail, it also helps to know what type of malfunction they'll create, double feed, stovepipes, fail-to-feed)

IRL you will perform exactly as you have trained and having mags which create different malfunctions, allows you to enhance your real world reactions to mag mis-functions.

my 2 cents,
Mike
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 8:08:40 AM EDT
[#5]
If the cracks are small you can drill a small hole at the end of the crack to prevent it from going any further.  This may get you some more life out of the mags for the range.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top