Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/15/2012 5:18:59 PM EDT
I'm going to pick up a dedicated upper some time in the next month or so, and I wanted to ask you more learned individuals a few questions.

First of all, do any of you have the 20" CMMG .22lr upper?  I know it would be heavy, but I like the idea of a rifle length upper.  This will be used for plinking, training and .22lr 'tactical (fun) rifle' matches.

Second question:  Is the stainless bolt upgrade worth the substantial extra cost?  Are there any problems with having the standard parked finish?

And finally:  What is the best magazine for this upper?  The old grey aluminum-looking plastic mags, the new polymer ones or the Black Dog mags?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 4:28:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Defintley get the stainless. We had the Parked one first. It cost us more later to upgrade to the stainless so a lessen learned there.
Cannot help on the barrel as  we do not have the 20 inch. My wife finds my 16 inch adequate! We use mostly a Blackdog Drum mag. We have one of the new Evolution 25 rounders but had to do a couple things to it to get it to work the Last round Bolt hold Open. It has always fed great though. Some I think are having trouble with the New CMMG ones though from what I have read..
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 8:51:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Get stainless for sure! I use black dog mags exclusively
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 12:19:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the advice!  Why is the Stainless better?  Does it just clean up easier, or does it function better?
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 12:47:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thanks for the advice!  Why is the Stainless better?  Does it just clean up easier, or does it function better?

I think the answer  is both.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 2:19:40 PM EDT
[#5]
If you want a functional forward assist you need the SS bolt or you'll have to modify the parkerized  conversion bolt rails.   I have used the SS bolt and own 3 parkerized bolts.  Both work and the SS may need less time to wear in than the parkerized bolt.  The SS is a little easier clean but I can easily shoot 1000 rounds before re-lubing or cleaning the bolt.  I have several different mags but I like the new BDM X Form mags better than the Gen II BDM or the gray CMMG mags.  I've never tried the BDM drum or CMMG Evolution mags.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 4:22:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I would shy away from the CMMG 22LR upper.
mine has been very troublesome and unreliable.
Had to send it back to factory twice, and it still wont run most ammo,
and is extremely finicky.
dry or oiled, doesnt matter.
 Only real use is for malfunction drills.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 4:35:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the 18" upper.  It has been flawless.  I have the SS version with all the bells and whistles.  IM shadowcop and see what he says about the CMMG.  

MAHA
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 5:14:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I tested the CMMG 20".
Very good shooter. Mine shot under 1" at 50 yards.
Very reliable. You will find very few that are not reliable, and if there is a problem, it's easily fixed.
If there is an issue, CMMG will take care of it. Lifetime warranty.

You will not find a significant difference in accuracy from the 16" to the 20". You do have a longer sight radius with the 20".
Also keep in mind, the 20" will have 18.5" of barrel sticking out of the receiver. Not 20"

Dave N

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 7:20:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I would shy away from the CMMG 22LR upper.
mine has been very troublesome and unreliable.
Had to send it back to factory twice, and it still wont run most ammo,
and is extremely finicky.
dry or oiled, doesnt matter.
 Only real use is for malfunction drills.

This is certainly not typical for a CMMG. I have two of them and they have run like champs for the last 5,000 rounds or so through them. Before this one I had a Spikes. I was thrilled the day it went away. They were spotty at best. My CMMG just runs and runs. If you have one that doesn't, please try it on a different lower and make sure there isn't a problem there. Or, if you really don't like it, get in touch. I might take it off your hands.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:45:50 AM EDT
[#10]
I run a Spikes ST22....... It has been nearly 100% reliable.
Most issues with dedicated uppers are crap ammo, not crap uppers.

I am NOT generally a Spikes Tactical fan, so no, I am not a Spikes Fanboy

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:40:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Things that WORK:
S&W 15-22  Perfect function, right out of the box. Feeds and fires everything .22LR. Highly Recommend.
Things that cannot be made to work:
CMMG dedicated .22LR upper.
.After several thousand attempts to feed various cartridges from 4 new CMMG magazines, and TWO return trips to the CMMG factory, I am in possession of the most unreliable mechanical device on the market.
 This piece of mechanical garbage will feed less than 25%   of the time, and has mangled thousands of rounds of every brand of .22LR cartridge manufactured.
  For malfunction drills, I can strongly recommend the CMMG .22LR dedicated upper.
Just dont expect to have any fun trying to shoot one.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:12:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Things that WORK:
S&W 15-22  Perfect function, right out of the box. Feeds and fires everything .22LR. Highly Recommend.
Things that cannot be made to work:
CMMG dedicated .22LR upper.
.After several thousand attempts to feed various cartridges from 4 new CMMG magazines, and TWO return trips to the CMMG factory, I am in possession of the most unreliable mechanical device on the market.
 This piece of mechanical garbage will feed less than 25%   of the time, and has mangled thousands of rounds of every brand of .22LR cartridge manufactured.
  For malfunction drills, I can strongly recommend the CMMG .22LR dedicated upper.
Just dont expect to have any fun trying to shoot one.

Want to sell the CMMG?

MAHA
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:32:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Flip thriugh this thread that I started 5 years ago. It'll answer a lot of your questions..

Dave S

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_15/441890_22_Conversions___Dedicated_22_s__22_Builds___Range_Reports__Ammo__Tips__Tricks__Insight_and_More_.html&page=1
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:35:25 AM EDT
[#14]
FullPower,just give me that CMMG. I hate to see you suffer so. I have two CMMGs and they run 100% perfect. Shoot  cheap Winchester and Federal bulk I put through them. Send me your worthless piece of garbage and save yourself all the trauma. I am here to help..Thanks
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top