Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2004 9:40:43 PM EDT
Could I have turned my preban AR pistol into a preban rifle...? during the now dead ban? I will build an ar pistol but want the option of making it into a rifle at a later time (pistol just for fireball fun). Would it be hypothetically legal to turn a preban pistol to a preban rifle or would that constitute a new firearm hence illegal?
**I am assuming we will get a AW ban sooner or later.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:00:20 PM EDT
[#1]
You can go pistol to rifle with out paper work, but once built as a rifle, you can't go back to it being a pistol. Going back would require that that the now rifle would need to be registed as a SBR or AOW.

Lets not get into the fact that it's paper worked as a pistol, and you would be the only person to know that it spent some time as a rifle.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:15:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You can go pistol to rifle with out paper work, but once built as a rifle, you can't go back to it being a pistol. Going back would require that that the now rifle would need to be registed as a SBR or AOW.

Lets not get into the fact that it's paper worked as a pistol, and you would be the only person to know that it spent some time as a rifle.

i think that is incorrect.  much like how you can get a 16" bbl and Glock stock for a glock handgun and go back and forth, you can do the same with an AR pistol.  thompson/center series, 1911 rifle kits, etc.

if it starts life as a pistol, you can go back and forth.  if it start life as a rifle, youre stuck

edit for speeeeeling
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:21:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i think that is incorrect.  much like how you can get a 16" bbl and Glock stock for a glock handgun and go back and forth, you can do the same with an AR pistol.  thompson/center series, 1911 rifle kits, etc.

if it starts life as a pistol, you can go back and forth.  if it start life as a rifle, youre stuck

edit for speeeeeling

1) There is no such thing, legally, as 'paper working' as a pistol

2) As per the Thompson-Center case, the ATF was ordered by a Federal Judge to allow pistols to become rifles and be turned back into pistols again.

A gun that is first made to be a pistol can be 'promoted' to a rifle and 'demoted' to a pistol again...

You cannot 'demote' an original rifle to a pistol, that would be a SBR.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:28:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:22:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You cannot 'demote' an original rifle to a pistol, that would be a SBR.

This logically not true, though legally it cannot be done.

A rifle could logically go to a pistol by removing 16"+ upper and then removing buttstock, then add pistol length upper.

The same is true when going from pistol to rifle.  If you take your pistol and then add buttstock, then remove pistol length upper and replace it with 16"+ upper, you made a SBR for a short time, which is illegal..

Makes sense, right?  

mark
[email protected]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:27:38 AM EDT
[#6]

And the answer to the original question is: yes, you could have made your pre-ban AR pistol into a pre-ban rifle at any time, and back again.

-Troy

THAT'S WHAT I WANTED TO HEAR!!!

Mark, I'll shoot you an email later.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top