Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2009 8:08:30 PM EDT
Okay since Ive been shooting corrosive shit through my ARs, TOK and 5.45, I've noticed soemthing that only happens with those specific uppers. The springs in the bolt get destroyed very easily. Lose tension and warp

I have a M16 that only shoots steel cased (usually) and I have replaced the spring 1 time in about 40K, its due for another soon.

I have 9mm, 45acp, 22lr, 5,45, tok 458s, 450B and multiple 556 uppers most with cans many SBR's. I also have mult AR10s. They get all get the same crappy treatment. These 2 uppers are the only ones that do it.

No kidding every other range sessions I have to take the damn extractor off and replace it. I run wolff or Colt springs only.

I don't clean them, really any ARs except the barrels of the shooters, and the HD rifles. I know this will probably take care of/help  the problem, but Its just something I finally realized today.

FYI.

ETA Im also noticing the springs in the mags starting to feel loose. Only in the TOK mags and the Cproduct mags, although my experiance with Cproducts has sucked in general.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:11:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting.  I thought it was just me.  I noticed the same thing with my setups.  Using Bulgarian chrome lined AK-74 barrels headspaced for the M16 platform.  I use Wolf Xtra power extractor springs and I've been changing them pretty frequently.  I was wondering if Wolff's QC was going down.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:01:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Interesting.  I thought it was just me.  I noticed the same thing with my setups.  Using Bulgarian chrome lined AK-74 barrels headspaced for the M16 platform.  I use Wolf Xtra power extractor springs and I've been changing them pretty frequently.  I was wondering if Wolff's QC was going down.

Wolf and QC dont go together
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:03:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:05:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong "Wolf."  "Wolf ammunition" is often quite inconsistent.  "Wolff springs" are top notch products.

OP, I'd kind of soak the bolt in oil and/or grease the springs before shooting a lot of corrosive ammo, and see if that helps.  And even if you do have to replace your springs frequently, are you spending less to shoot because of the low cost of the surplus, corrosive ammo?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:14:51 AM EDT
[#5]
And even if you do have to replace your springs frequently, are you spending less to shoot because of the low cost of the surplus, corrosive ammo?

Correct.  I'm shooting full auto (RDIAS, MGI modular lower using unmodified 45 round AK74 mags) so if I have to keep feeding it Wolf extra power extractor springs for the cost savings in ammo, it doesn't bother me.  I haven't had to replace any ejector springs though...

http://www.livevideo.com/video/C3B9B6453E804D329A306AB9D5C9FCBE/8-5-45-upper.aspx

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 12:04:49 PM EDT
[#6]
yes the saving in ammo more than makes up for the PITA of a spring

yes it was wolff springs, not wolf ammo-even though i shoo the hell out of it also
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 12:09:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

He's talking about Wolff http://www.gunsprings.com/

HA!  Thanks ya'll im still a to this platform

Edit:  I'm a pro at avoiding corrosion though.  CorrosionX  I have shot 7k of surplus in 13-14 months now w/o an issue w/ this stuff.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 1:18:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Okay since Ive been shooting corrosive shit through my ARs, TOK and 5.45, I've noticed soemthing that only happens with those specific uppers. The springs in the bolt get destroyed very easily. Lose tension and warp

I have a M16 that only shoots steel cased (usually) and I have replaced the spring 1 time in about 40K, its due for another soon.

I have 9mm, 45acp, 22lr, 5,45, tok 458s, 450B and multiple 556 uppers most with cans many SBR's. I also have mult AR10s. They get all get the same crappy treatment. These 2 uppers are the only ones that do it.

No kidding every other range sessions I have to take the damn extractor off and replace it. I run wolff or Colt springs only.

I don't clean them, really any ARs except the barrels of the shooters, and the HD rifles. I know this will probably take care of/help  the problem, but Its just something I finally realized today.

FYI.

ETA Im also noticing the springs in the mags starting to feel loose. Only in the TOK mags and the Cproduct mags, although my experiance with Cproducts has sucked in general.

Corrosive ammo is really hard in any semi or full auto guns. I rebuilt an AR that a guy shot alot of corrosive ammo. I had to strip it down and replace every spring and all metal parts. Even the roll pins and barrel. I would never use that ammo. in any of my guns.

Mike  

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top