Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2007 2:40:39 PM EDT
Aluminum or composite? I seem to recall that the actual collapsible buttstock for the XM-177/CAR-15 was aluminum. Is this correct? And if so, where can I get one?
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 2:45:35 PM EDT
Coated aluminum two position would be the correct stock.

The only place I know of that currently makes a reproduction is Essential Arms.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 2:45:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/11/2007 2:50:05 PM EDT by Bones357]
Aluminum covered by vinyl acetate.

You can find the original Colt stocks on the EE occasionally, but they run about $300 complete.

Essential Arms makes a reproduction aluminum stock which is very nice. It's powder coated, so it's not exactly the same, but I have one on my E2 clone and I really like it. I think there are some other companies that make them, too.

ETA: For some great carbine reference material, check the carbine guide reference at the top of the Retro forum page, and also the Carbine Guide at retroblackrifle.com.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 4:03:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bones357:
Aluminum covered by vinyl acetate.

You can find the original Colt stocks on the EE occasionally, but they run about $300 complete.

Essential Arms makes a reproduction aluminum stock which is very nice. It's powder coated, so it's not exactly the same, but I have one on my E2 clone and I really like it. I think there are some other companies that make them, too.

ETA: For some great carbine reference material, check the carbine guide reference at the top of the Retro forum page, and also the Carbine Guide at retroblackrifle.com.

Wow, that's a great site! Just what I was after. Thanks for the fast responses!
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 5:04:42 PM EDT
DSA has a reproduction alloy stock for $79.95 including buffer and spring. Never ordered from them, and they were on backorder last time I checked.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 5:29:21 PM EDT
I have three of the textured stocks from Essential Arms. I really like them. Good service too!
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 1:17:03 PM EDT
Could the EA stock fit on a "modern" mil-spec tube? That way I could have the right look and have more than two positions.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 1:53:47 PM EDT
As long as it is a mil-spec tube, the EA stock will fit. I have one on a 5 position mil-spec tube.

Charles Tatum
Alamo Professional Arms
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 6:52:20 PM EDT
I know it may be a dumb question, but what was the Fiberite ltwt stock used on? - the 653/654 would be my guess.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:29:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Morg308:
I know it may be a dumb question, but what was the Fiberite ltwt stock used on? - the 653/654 would be my guess.

It was used mainly on 700 and 900 series carbines (anything from mid-eighties until approx 2000). It's possible that some late 653s may have had them, but I've never seen a photo of one.

Earliest fiberlites used the two-position tube, but eventually changed to four position.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:33:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Trumpet:
Could the EA stock fit on a "modern" mil-spec tube? That way I could have the right look and have more than two positions.

Thanks

Just call them and tell them that you want just the stock body to fit on your own tube. You'll need to specify smooth or textured finish. He'll probably ask a couple of questions about your tube to make sure you get the right stock. That's what I did.
Top Top