Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/30/2005 8:04:23 PM EDT
I have a Bushy 20" with the flat-top receiver.  I've noticed that rings generally come in 3 hights, low, medium, and high.  WITHOUT buying the mini-risers,  will the high scope rings place the scope high enough to give proper cheek weld?  3X9 with 1" tube.  Or is the high rings still to short without the risers?  Thanks for the help.

Ben
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:09:43 AM EDT
[#1]
The answer depends in part on what the objective diameter of the scope is and what type of handguards/BUIS you have.

To mount my Mueller 4-16X50 I had to use Warne ultra high rings, and then it barely cleared my Troy BUIS.  They did give me the right height for my prefered cheek weld.

Good luck.

Seydou
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:32:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Most "High" rings will not be high enough on an AR15 upper.  The scope might fit but you will have a very uncomfortable cheekweld due to the inline stock.

The optimal height for any scope on an AR15 is about 1.4-1.5 inches from top of flattop to center of scope.  This either amounts to HIGH rings (that provide 0.5 inch rise) + .5 inch risers. Or Ultra high rings that raise the scope 1" (raise the center of a 1" scope to 1.5"). Like the Warne, ARMs, etc.

To further complicate things, a lot of times the AR15 flattop is not long enough to  accommodate  
 the eye relief of a lot of scopes (meaning you can't get it far enough forward).  This has been addressed with a number of products including a scout-type riser rail, the LaRue SPR scope mount, armalite scope mount, or just mounting one ring to a railed handguard.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:32:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, thats EXACTLY the information I was looking for.  I appreciate the help!Ben
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top