Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/17/2004 6:56:42 AM EST
Hello All,

I am looking for opinions on the Corbin test media. It is listed for sale on their website at www.bulletswage.com. I like to test things myself when I can get the time, and the refrigeration and "calibration" of the conventional Knox gelatin seems tedious. Not that I don't like Jello. I made a lot of jello shots in college, so that could have something to do with it.

I recognize the results would not be apples to apples with gelatin, but it should in theory still be more useful that wet phonebooks. Affordability is an issue, as well. It took a while for me to get a chronograph, but once I did I learned more than a few things. Some of the things I learned I would have been happier not knowing. Some of my death ray rounds ended up being downright pokey.

Whatcha think? Corbin media worth the dough?

Thanks,
Cheese
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:47:22 AM EST
Water also works well (divide the results by 2).
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:53:07 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:40:52 AM EST
Unfortunately the local range doesn't have a source of water.

I didn't consider the opaque nature of the stuff. Good point.

Thanks,
Cheese
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:18:40 PM EST
For all of it's ugliness, Gelatin is still more cost effective for now.

The best reason is it is a KNOWN quantity.

The calibration 'Thing" is also a minor quirk.

Gelatin is usually (Tatjana, Brou..plug your ears) pretty close even if it is off temp and density a "smidge".

The Simtest stuff cannot be correlated to in an equal manner.

Also.
Ya shoot some Gelatin, ya get some ideas as to what is going on.
You toss the dead Gelatin in the pond, bag it and leave it for the Garbage Dude whatever.
(Toss it in the weeds, and it will smell like the Djbouti/Ethiopia border circa 1988 after 3 days!)

Simtest will need re-processing to be used again, and again and there is no evidence the reprocessed Simtest media is indicitive within accurate margins after re-processing.

Vyse Gelatin isn't that expensive, nor is the process that painfull so as to preclude it's use in favor of completely less than validated predicative media.

At least water filled Milk Jugs are a more common and easily replicated media!

Save the green.
Shoot water ,or suffer the stinky/sticky hell(Gel on the earmuffs, chronograph, shooting glasses, etc becomes a point of humor after a while.. It ain't that bad!) of gel for the time being.

And just for the record.
I am a complete "Morgue monster" and do not trust Gelatin one whit.

Gel is the one thing both sides can agree on, for now, and is accepted.

S-28

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:24:22 AM EST
I cannot claim to have any familiarity with Corbin's test media. I will, however, indicate that I shy away from Corbin products.

As a long time reloader and general all around gun nut I have had occasion to use equipment from just about every manufacturer possible. As can be expected there are considerable differences in quality. Redding and RCBS make some decent stuff at a decent price. Lee quality is no where near as nice but then again Lee products are half the cost.

However, Corbin completely baffles me. His equipment is expensive, and I find that it is not necessarily of any great quality. I find most of his promotional materials to be somewhate misleading. Corbin likes to write articles on the benefits of bullet swaging and it reads a whole lot like a Lee ad. Reminds me of a Civil Ware Snake Oil Salesman.....

If his media is anything like everything else he sells it is likely priced three times more than it should be and is of medocre quality.

I won't touch a corbin product.

Frozenny
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:33:13 AM EST
Thanks for the heads up on Corbin. I was surprised- you would think you would get good quality for the prices asked!

As for gel, well, I guess everyone speaks that language. I was hoping for a system that would allow me to learn more without the hassle, but it looks like water is the way to go. I just need something that gives me a frame of reference- that includes testing bullets from my deer rifles, various calibers of handguns, etc.

I can afford water, too.

Thanks all,
Cheese
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:44:58 PM EST
Cheesebeast,

Just ask your friends to save all of their ziplock sandwich bags after use, instead of throwing them away, and make a "Fackler Box".

I forget where the plans and instructions are posted, but this here place is the place to ask.

There is also a conversion Form that can be used to correlate water to Gel based upon temperature and penetration.

The downside?
Ya can't see what the bullet "Did" in the media, and sometimes with rifles, you get a small shower.

Call Vyse and check on pricing.
It ain't that bad. REALLY!!!!

Especially if you intend to only run 10-15 bullets a year in testing.

Look at it this way.
(Puts on the lime green polyester leisure jacket, and white patent leather shoes he does)

Compared to a University credit for underwater basketry, Gelatin is a bargain.
You learn more and the Professor wont hit on your girlfriend!

The folks at Vyse also send out a really nice Christmas card every year.

Come oooonnnnn!!!
Come over to the sticky side and join in the fun!

If not, all is well and good.
You will succumb sooner or later.

good luck!
S-28
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:40:34 AM EST
Howdy S-28,

I find your arguments for gelatin...persuasive.

I will try out the Vyse stuff this spring. It will be difficult to explain to my wife what I am doing, what those disgusting blobs are in the refrigerator, why I am smiling, etc.

When it comes to underwater basketweaving, I only wish I hadn't called that 800 number I saw on late night TV and gone with the Sally Struthers correspondence course. I still haven't sold any f'ing baskets! STRUTHERS YOU BITCH!

Thanks again,
Cheese
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:51:44 AM EST

Originally Posted By Forest:
Water also works well (divide the results by 2).

I thought the actual constant was to divide by 1.8?
Top Top