Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/17/2005 9:40:07 PM EDT
After doing some reading I decide I would try some new products to remove copper and Moly in my firearms.

I picked up some Pro Shot Copper Solvent IV to remove copper after reading it was ok for chrome lined and chome-moly. I also read that Sweets 7.62 would eat bronze brushes, so another reason I went with the Pro Shot. The stuff works real good, takes some time, but good. So, I'm scrubbing and patching away on a few rifles and start noticing the brushes moving much more freely as time goes on.

I think this ate my brushes!

I am also using Kano Kroil (just a little bit on patches) to remove moly in a couple rifles too.

I need to know if the Pro shot is what is eating my brushes? I dont really care for the nylon brushes but it looks like I will have to pick some up when I get new bronze ones. I would like to know what I should use these with?

Other products I use on a regular basis are Hoppes Elite cleaner, M-Pro 7 Bore Gel, and Hoppes No. 9 Powder solvent. I havent had a problem with them in the past and I dont mix things together to cut corners.

I have to say I was amazed at how much stuff was still in my barrels once I used copper cleaner on a recently cleaned AR, WOW! Let's just say I'm adding copper cleaner as a permanent product! I have alot of cleaning to do and I don't want to buy all new brushes except for nylon ones.

Can ya'll help me figure out what's eating them? The brushes were eaten in a matter of hours.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:25:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:33:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I blast my brushes after each use with Brake Cleaner, cleans and drys fast.

Danny
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:29:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the reply to the thread guys, I am still having issues though.

I have tried the rinsing technique (it is routine in cleaning for me) after every session with the bronze brushes, this stuff still seems to eat it. I tried some brand new brushes afterwards to see if it was from old brushes breaking down and got the same results, it ate thm after one or two guns.

I think I will just have to add nylon brushes to my kits.

I was also thinking of diluting the Pro Shot in Hoppes No.9 or Kroil? Do you think this is a good idea, will it allow the copper remover to still do its job completely and maybe not eat the bronze?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:03:50 AM EDT
[#4]
YOUR BRONZE BRUSHES CAN BE LYING TO YOU ON THE AMMOUNT OF COPPER YOU HAVE IN THE BORE.  Every copper solvent will attack a bronze brush. idea is to use a wet patch an soak the bore. no need to scrub the brush with copper solvent. the salts will eat the copper just fine if left to soak a little (7 mins max). when done do not forget to flush both the cleaning equp. and the bore. I have seen quite a few rusted crowns from letting branes cr-10 dry in the FP.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:29:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I use a nylon brush with Sweets and so far so good after nearly 15 years of use in various rifles.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:41:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the new info guys. Let me make one thing clear foe myself, I do not need to scrub the barrel with brush??? I used the brush and renoved much heavier amounts of blue residues from the barrel. It is possible to get the copper out with just the wet patches and soaking 7-10 mins each time?

Thanks for the feedback and tips. I have 3 new barrels to break in this month, 1 SS, 1 chrome plated and chrome lined. I have shot the chrome plated a total of 60 rounds. After 10 rounds of break in a good cleaning and copper removal were used. Now it is time for the second cleaning. I shot 5 and cleaned for last 50 with break free. All I have to do is clean and soak with copper remover and dry correct? Then go back through with normal cleaning products and the brushes?

A stupid question I also have is should the copper remover be used before or after the other products?? I usually use it after te hoppes and everything else, then run No. 9 wet patch down at the end and dry before the rust preventative. Is this good practice??

Thanks again for the feedback, Barrels cost too much to make mistakes.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:13:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I remove poweder foul first then use the copper solvent. Use a brush with the powder solvent, but it is not needed with the copper remover.

to be honest it is not needed with a good powder solvent either, the brush just saves time.

Let your copper solvent work on the copper. There is no need to brush it is not mechincal action that removes the coppper, but a chemical recation.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top