Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/5/2006 5:21:22 AM EDT
I just installed a new willson 20" SS bull barrel and ran a cleaning patch with clip on it through the barrrel.  The patch came out very dirty.  I cleaned the barrel and then look at the barrel and saw what looked like copper fouling.  I ran a patch with sweets copper remover down the barrel, followed with a dry patch.  The dry patch came out blue indicating copper fouling?  I clean all of copper out of the barrel and now I don't see any copper in the barrel.

Is this normal for a new barrel?  
Does willson test fire there barrel?

The barrel was purchased new from M&A parts..
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:52:20 AM EDT
[#1]
i can't speak to wilson's manufacturing, but i've been around a shitpot of machine shops.  although some give the appearance of being extra clean, it is a relatively dirty environment.  also, keep in mind a very minute portion of copper can turn a patch blue.  

i'd give it no worry.  i am glad to see you cleaned it before using it.  a lot of folks will take a brand new rifle or part and use it without proper prep.  you'd be surprised how dirty some of these items can be...

HTH.

septic tank
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:34:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply.  

As far as the copper fouling, I could actually see it in the barrel.  It seemed excesive to me.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:03:39 PM EDT
[#3]
just a little copper can do that. It could be from a test fire/ function check. Clean, lube, and shoot it

Invisiblesoul
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:05:58 PM EDT
[#4]
+1
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:25:02 PM EDT
[#5]
If the barrel was never built up, how could it be test fired.  Sounds a little strange to me, but in the end it probably doesn't matter much as long as it looks new after cleaning.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top