Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/6/2012 9:43:03 AM EDT
Okay, I just picked up a cheap M4 bayonet for my M1 carbine, because it was too cheap to turn down. It is apprently one made by the Greeks and shows their lack of QC quite well. I put it in my only M8 sheath, but noticed today that udner the finish it looks copper or bronze! My first inclination was that this is residue on the blade from the sharpener in the sheath, but I doubt #1 that they would have used such a critical material for such a mundane thing, and #2 I don't understand how Copper would do anything but foul the blade (bi metal reactions). Also, it REALLY doesn't look like it is residue, but where the black finish is fading away. I am tempted to take some sand paper to it, just to check. Here are some pics but they don't show it very well. It looks like rust in the pics but trust me, it's NOT.  It's the weirdest damn thing I've ever heard of. I thought the bronze age was over. Anyone ever hear of this or have one?

ETA: Pics came out worse than I thought, but it's very clear when holding it. There is a nick near the tip which is very clearly copper-colored, as are all the raised areas. If it were just gold instead, I'd be all set...WTH would anyone make a copper bayonet?

ETA2: I took some sandpaper to it. It is a thin copper wash underneath the parkerizing, but the bayonet is steel WTF over?

ETA3: 2 more pics. You can see the copper and the steel showing through. Much more dramatic in person. My camera sucks.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:58:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Very nice.  New one on me not that I'm gonna scrape any of mine to find out what's underneath but my camping bayos don't show copper.  Lets see high carbon steel,  copper and phosphate.  Guess it could help reacting with blood or wine.  Is it just on the blade?  Would it make more since on an alloy?  Got some mags with copper underneath but they are aluminum.  Interesting bayo.  Can't really tell from pic but stamp on blade almost looks like a Denmark M-4 and wasn't even aware the Greeks made M-4 bayos.  It's a leather wrapped handle?  Any markings on the cross guard?.  Could it have been one of the surplus bayos pieced together in the 80's from various parts.   Doesn't really look like it!    Is the cross guard blued and not parked?  Wish I had a nice M-8 scabbard.  I'll get around to it one day.  Things are getting hard to find in excellent shape around here without an excellent shape bayo.  Still pretty cool.  I don't know why but I'm also a sucker for an in-expensive bayo.  Kinda into the Swedes right now.  You can sure get those things sharp they just look stupid.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 10:44:12 AM EDT
[#2]
It's got 'LM' stamped on it - some might ding me for sanding the finish off, but I decided to buff the whole thing out so it shows through - kind of like a bronze finish M16. It has a lot of sharp edges, leather ring handle, and ricasso looks painted and worn not parked, but hard to tell. It really isn't very good quality. The tip is dinged and bent, and I'm guessing it has the same lack of temper that My M7 has. Bayonets are not knives and I really have little use for them. I thought this would make a nice little fighting knife though. Kind of dissapointed in it, but not surprised. The copper color is MUCH more pronounced than it is in the pictures. Really sort of weird. FWIW the pommel and latches got the same copper wash but the guard did not. When I buff the whole thing the scratches will dissappear. It'll make a good companion piece for the bronze build I'm working on.

Oh- the pommel is also loose, overall quality is pretty poor, so I don't feel bad buffing it and restaking the pommel.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 11:14:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Morg, found a description on the "M-4 to M-7"  bayonet link.  Greece is correct and copper over steel is also correct.  Site said EME stamp on blade and different finish.   Never knew Greece even mfg'd M-4 bayos.  Always learning something new.  Also said they came back with some loaner M-1 carbines in 2010-2011.  Manufacturer unknown and as stated quality very poor..  I'm kinda more interested in what happened to the carbines?  Sarco parts possibly?  Except for the expense of shooting,  those lightweight carbines are just plain fun.  Wife even approves.  Hopefully an M-2 FA someday soon!
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 11:53:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I would absolutely love an M2 someday. The M1 carbine is one of the most underrated weapons out there.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 12:12:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I would absolutely love an M2 someday. The M1 carbine is one of the most underrated weapons out there.

I LOVE my lil "pop guns"! Dead sexy little fellers with a bayo and a 30 rounder!

Those Greek bayos are CMP specials. Fugly as sin! I've seen them completely over sprayed with black paint or just greasy nasty messes.

Patience is your friend. I've seen nice M4's on ePay go for $80 when 4 years ago it would have sold for $125!

Good to see some love for M1 (and M2) Carbines. They (M2s) ARE retro and saw beucoup action in SEA.  

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 12:44:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Cal,  How's that garand carbine work for you?  That is definately different.  Paratrooper version!  Nice M-1 collection.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 12:49:04 PM EDT
[#7]
The early advisors used cutdown M2's with paratrooper stocks, (including 'Stormin' Norman'). I measured mine and looks like it'd fit in an M1952 pack perfectly. I believe they weren't supposed to be carrying openly. Great solution eh? Then things ramped up and they got the 601s. I'd love to buy a registered M2 'trigger pack' so it could be moved from one weapon to another rather than a RR M2. This would make me feel better about a possible cracked receiver down the road as well.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 1:59:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Cal,  How's that garand carbine work for you?  That is definately different.  Paratrooper version!  Nice M-1 collection.

It's a Mini-G from Shuff's Parkerizing and Military Restorations

I've only shot one clip through it. It handles like a dream though!

Adjustable gas plug so you can shoot commercial ammo. Nice tidy little package too! Better that a "Tanker"! (3 inches shorter better!)

Quoted:
The early advisors used cutdown M2's with paratrooper stocks, (including 'Stormin' Norman'). I measured mine and looks like it'd fit in an M1952 pack perfectly. I believe they weren't supposed to be carrying openly. Great solution eh? Then things ramped up and they got the 601s. I'd love to buy a registered M2 'trigger pack' so it could be moved from one weapon to another rather than a RR M2. This would make me feel better about a possible cracked receiver down the road as well.

I think it was Norman that had the Iver Johnston stock with the wire slide out stock and it was bobbed just barley past the front of the stock! That would be a fun blaster!

Yes the registered trigger housing set would be MUCH better! Cheaper and you could crack as many receivers as you can afford to buy!

I wish I could have EVERY giggle switched small arm ever fielded by Uncle Sugar! Dayum Uncle Sugar for being such a Dick about things!

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 4:00:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I really like that Mini-G, but would prefer a LaFrance M14K - it used a modified M60 gas system and apparently was very soft shooting. I think Crazy Horse was talking about doing a run of them. With a Beretta BM50 Alpine stock that would pretty much be a dream weapon for me. RIght up there with the Johnson.

I have the Plainfield 'paratrooper' stock which I actually kind of like except that you don't really shoulder it or it'll crack - you shoot it more like an AOW. I would chop it, but I just can't justify it. If I built an 'Advisor carbine' it would likely just be an SBR (but an M2 pack would be ideal) and I'd use the real paratrooper sidefolder repro. I have a really nice USGI regular stock for the Plainfield I bought, but it needs metal parts. Kinda like the stupid thing just the way it is. It sure is compact and light. Fits in an M60 barrel case.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 4:13:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I really like that Mini-G, but would prefer a LaFrance M14K - it used a modified M60 gas system and apparently was very soft shooting.

Anything like this?

Herea a LaFrance fresh from Google.

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top