Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2006 9:13:12 PM EDT
Anyone know of a rail system that doesn't heat up as much? i've tried searching bc i found one before that keeps the heat down, but i can't find it again. anyways i have a Midwest Industry rail system right now and it heats up like no other!

anyone got any suggestions?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:16:31 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Anyone know of a rail system that doesn't heat up as much? i've tried searching bc i found one before that keeps the heat down, but i can't find it again. anyways i have a Midwest Industry rail system right now and it heats up like no other!

Do you have the free float type?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:16:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy rail covers.
I Have MI rails with rail covers from KAC.
I don't feel a thing.
Granted,I am using the VG.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:43:50 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you have the free float type?

no it's not a free float... what's the advantage of having a free float?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:48:48 PM EDT
[#4]
My Knight's Armament M4 rail systems have always treated me well under heavy use.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:28:24 PM EDT
[#5]

no it's not a free float... what's the advantage of having a free float?

Free Float rails don't touch the barrel or front sight base. They only touch the barrel nut back at the receiver and make a better 'heat sink'.

By not touching the barrel, you get 'better accuracy' theoretically, because you're not changing the harmonics of your barrel by touching points along the barrel with different pressures on every shot. (that's the way I understand it...)
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:37:10 PM EDT
[#6]
i've never actually held a free float rail system on a rifle, how sturdy are they?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:01:37 PM EDT
[#7]
They can get as sturdy as you can afford all the way up to one piece monolithic receiver/rail...  But, you'll be amazed at how well just about any decent free float tube keeps from getting blistering hot like conventional handguards, and you don't really need to spend a lot of $$$.  

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:25:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Pleong,

What they all said about free floats. Sorry for the late reply ... but they pretty much nailed the answer to your questions.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:37:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top