Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/14/2009 12:07:09 PM EDT
So, awhile back, I bought a semi-ratty (few holes but clean) ERDL slant pocket shirt off ebay. It came with a LRRP tag, but I didn't know what unit the guy came from - I did some research, and it turns out he was from the 198th Light Infantry Brigade, which was part of the Americal Division, so he was likely in the E. 51st or the unit that preceded it. There were three teams stationed with the 198th, but that doesn't necessarily mean he was in Binh Son of course - they drew volunteers for Rocondo school from various Brigades in the Division, so who knows?

Anyway, what makes it cool for me personally was the 198th was created in Erie County, PA. where my family is from. They were also part of Task Force Oregon, a state I lived in for 8 years and which is still 'home' to me. The creation of the first LRRP teams in the Americal Division was apparently happening in '67 which would fit my Xm16E1 clone pretty well. Now I need to finish a carbine build!

I also found this link that gives good info on the LRRPs of Americal: http:www.75thrra.com/history/g75_hx.html

Here's the patch: What's interesting is there is no US Army or name tag insignia on it, nor any sign there ever was any, just this. I found that interesting.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:32:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool. Looks like an M1 bayonet.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:29:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Very cool.I hav'nt seen that patch in a long time.My friend who has an "old fashion" army navy store had one a long time ago..Last one I saw.Very neat!!!!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:43:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Great patch Morg.  I love those old LRRP patch's; they're hard to find.  I started collecting Nam era rescue patch's and found some old Nam pilots that like to trade.  Here's some various Vietnam originals, a few SEAL riverine, etc.

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top