Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/5/2004 5:57:13 AM EDT
Since the AWB expires next week I plan to convert my fake collapsible stock to original. As far as I can tell I will have to add notches or holes to the botttom of the buffer tube, cut off some of the rear of the buffer tube (without making it too short internally of course) and replace/repair the adjustable latch. I have not found pictures or drawings of the original parts yet, so I might have to improvise. Sure I could just buy a new collapsible stock, but what fun would that be? Any thoughts on this Idea?   TOBG
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:37:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Just buy a new tube.  If you have one of the noncollapsable stock with the full length tube, you are in for more work than it is worth.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:47:03 AM EDT
[#2]
theres brand new colt tubes in shotgun news for $39
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:01:38 AM EDT
[#3]

Just buy a new tube. If you have one of the noncollapsable stock with the full length tube, you are in for more work than it is worth.

I am considering that as an option. I'm just a tightwad. I kind of dinged up the tube I have when I fitted it to my 0% lower so it would probably look better too. It's not real pretty but it shoots good.   TOBG
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:35:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm thinking of doing this also. I just want to do it because I can. The unit I have is from a Colt. I've already removed the stock part and replaced the allen screw with a proper latch unit. Its ready to go. The only marks are where I drilled out the pins.

Fixing the tube will be more of a challenge. The tube is standard carbine  length inside and solid afterward. It just needs to be cut off to the proper length and the channel/ positon holes cut. I got this unit for a song so I'm really not out anything if I mess up but I dont have proper tools.

I will probably use a Dremel with various bits and a drill.

I just like a challenge

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:40:00 PM EDT
[#5]
FRO, how did you do the latch? Did you have to make the hole larger or was the allen screw the proper diameter?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:44:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey guys, thanks for the replys.  FRO the pictures are great, just what  I've been looking for.   I have access to a mill at work so modifying the bottom of the buffer tube should be no problem  Thanks again, TOBG
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:03:48 PM EDT
[#7]
They just used a standard lever and stock. You'll have to replace the plunger assembly. I had one on a crappy stock laying around.

If you have access to a mill then you will be good to go. I wish I did.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:03:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Hey guys, thanks for the replys.  FRO the pictures are great, just what  I've been looking for.   I have access to a mill at work so modifying the bottom of the buffer tube should be no problem  Thanks again, TOBG

Why didn't you mention you had access to a mill.  Your in like Flynn.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:42:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Here is the rough cut out version. I could have taken it to a machinest and I would recomend that to someone with access. A mill would have done a much better/cleaner job.

The unfinished alluminium makes it look rougher than it really is.  I'll smooth it out some more and touch it up with black paint and it will be good to go. The stock is a tight fit and functions great.

Now when the sun sets this will be ready!  I have a feeling lots of people will do something similar. (probably better with proper tools)

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:09:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm a total "do-it-yourself-er" and let me tell you... for $69 for a new RRA collapsing stock from www.eaglefirearms.net, its just not worth messing with a conversion.

Several of the early models that were just pinned collapsing sotcks with a carbine tube/buffer are even a real pain, because they are blind pinned (requires drilling out) and glued (hammer time) and then the adjusting nut is missing the spring and bolt required for proper adjusting.  Just not worth it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:42:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Tagged... I have seen so many people ask if this could be done and I am glad to see you showed it could be...  congrats!  I may do one myeslf just to practice with the Bridgeport!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:40:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Here are some bad pics of the finished product. I did not refinish the tube just because you only really see a little bit of the channel and the end of the tube. I just touched up the areas where I worked with some black paint.

If you have access to a mill then it would be easy to make this as good as a new tube. I dont have a lower to install this on I just wanted a challenge.

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:30:03 AM EDT
[#13]
You can get a nice flat bottomed hole by cleaning it up with a Dremel 1/4" mill bit in a drill press.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top