Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2013 10:25:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/26/2013 10:27:42 AM EDT by M855]
I have a completely stock (1994 Post Ban) Bushmaster XM15E2S -  A3 20" barreled Flat Top, and want to convert it to a 16" Barreled M4 Style Carbine.
I plan on using a Red Dot sight with Flip Up front and rear irons for backup.

Don't see myself going back to a 20" configuration, so I'm thinking of having the M4 feed ramps cut into my upper and having it re-barreled to save money.
Primary uses will be informal target shooting, pest control and home defense.  Goals are reliability, good accuracy and making the conversion as economically as possible.

So far I'm guessing I'll need:
New Barrel
Low Profile Gas Block
New Handguards
Collapsible Stock
Recoil Spring and Buffer

What am I missing?
What should I expect this to cost?
Best places to get good parts at good prices?
What are my old parts worth for resale?

All advice appreciated.

Link Posted: 4/26/2013 11:00:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/26/2013 11:01:52 AM EDT by garretts1776]
Wow 1 post per year! thats impressive!
Honestly, I would say to buy another upper. Keep the one you have stock or sell it to fund the new one.  By the time you pay to get feed ramps cut, new barrel, gas block, and hand guards for your new upper you will have spent pretty much the same amount as a new upper.  Check out palmetto state armory and keep an eye out for an upper along the lines you are looking for. They make an exceptional product and are able to keep their prices down
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 11:07:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/26/2013 11:09:28 AM EDT by Bangz]
Why?  The Marines use it pretty much in the configuration that you currently own. The 20, with rifle gas system, is soooo much nicer to shoot than an M4. You're talking about 4" of barrel and turning it into an inferior weapon. I would urge you, if its an HBAR to send it to ADCO to turn the barrel down to a governemnt profile and thread it for a flashhider. Then buy a better optic than you otherwise would have and viola, you're done. I've cut 20's to 18 and 16 to make dissys and own both carbine and middies. After all is said and done, the 20 is KING!. Put an Wolffe Xtra strength action spring in the stock and it will shoot like a bb gun.  and you don't need M4 ramps, which are a non-event.  The grass is always greener as they say, and if you do as you propose, you will miss your 20. My .02 based on the last 2 decades of BRD.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 11:20:19 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Bangz:
Why?  The Marines use it pretty much in the configuration that you currently own. The 20, with rifle gas system, is soooo much nicer to shoot than an M4. You're talking about 4" of barrel and turning it into an inferior weapon. I would urge you, if its an HBAR to send it to ADCO to turn the barrel down to a governemnt profile and thread it for a flashhider. Then buy a better optic than you otherwise would have and viola, you're done. I've cut 20's to 18 and 16 to make dissys and own both carbine and middies. After all is said and done, the 20 is KING!. Put an Wolffe Xtra strength action spring in the stock and it will shoot like a bb gun.  and you don't need M4 ramps, which are a non-event.  The grass is always greener as they say, and if you do as you propose, you will miss your 20. My .02 based on the last 2 decades of BRD.

I agree, like I said save it and get a 16" upper to accompany it. 16" mid length can be run with a rifle buffer if im not mistaken
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 11:20:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/26/2013 11:24:17 AM EDT by usjet]
Bangz is pretty much spot-on.
There was a gunsmith out of Florida, Industry partner, during the "Ban" years- sent a Colt Hbar bbl to him and had it cut and turned to M4 profile. Using your existing bbl is a good way to go, and much cheaper.
But it looks like prices are starting to fall, and I expect a lot of people who "Panic" bought are going to be unloading, due to the ammo shortage.
Keep the 20" and pick up a whole shorty soon for not way much more than the cost of what you'r going to put into a conversion (if you use new, quality parts).
I've got 3 carbines and have begun to think about an old style 20"- they really are good shooters.

EDIT: There's a COLT 6940 upper, complete in the EE right now for $550 (I'm NOT the seller)
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 11:51:44 AM EDT
Originally Posted By usjet:
EDIT: There's a COLT 6940 upper, complete in the EE right now for $550 (I'm NOT the seller)

That's not a real Colt. It's a licensed by Colt upper not made by Colt.

Link Posted: 4/26/2013 12:17:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/26/2013 12:18:29 PM EDT by jkirkon]
Originally Posted By HighStrung1:

????????

A Colt 6940 upper isn't made by Colt?? I beg to differ.

Link Posted: 4/26/2013 12:24:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/26/2013 12:27:23 PM EDT by M855]
Originally Posted By Bangz: I would urge you, if its an HBAR to send it to ADCO to turn the barrel down to a governemnt profile and thread it for a flashhider. I've cut 20's to 18 and 16 to make dissys and own both carbine and middies.  and you don't need M4 ramps, which are a non-event.

It's a factory Bushmaster barrel that I believe is the same diameter as an HBAR but its fluted.
What is a dissys?

It shoots great now and I've never shot a 16" so maybe I should reconsider.
I assume by middie you mean an 18" barrel?

My idea was to make it a bit more compact, and easier handling.
Currently it has factory open sights with the rear being the A3 carry handle, but I've had a scope mounted in the past.
I'd like a Red Dot to get on target quicker and it seems most people recommend irons for backup.

I could just have the front sight shaved and put hand guards on it with rails for a folding front sight and a light on the side.
A telescoping stock would make it a bit shorter as well if slid in.

Thanks for all advice

Link Posted: 4/26/2013 1:02:17 PM EDT
if you want an M4, just buy another upper.

why the lo-pro gas block? M4 has an A2 style front sight/block (although it's type F)

Link Posted: 4/26/2013 1:48:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/26/2013 1:52:55 PM EDT by RJeff21]
Another vote for buying a new upper.  Here's one for $400

Palmetto builds a good upper.  I think you'll end up saving money in the long run and you might be able to sell your upper for enough to purchase the upper I linked.

ETA:  If you want a longer handguard, you could just shave the FSB down on a new upper and install a FF handguard so you can install the BUIS of your choice.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 3:19:25 PM EDT
Originally Posted By jkirkon:
Originally Posted By HighStrung1:

????????

A Colt 6940 upper isn't made by Colt?? I beg to differ.

If he's referring to the Colt complete upper in the EE for $550, it's not a 6940, its a 6900.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_29/232021_New_Colt_andamp_quot_Light_Rifleandamp_quot__6900.html

Link Posted: 4/26/2013 3:28:13 PM EDT
new upper
it's a hassle to get what you want done to the existing one, and price

get the bravo company upper it's not that expensive, the one with no rails
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 4:57:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/27/2013 5:01:03 AM EDT by M855]
Originally Posted By tapered-pin:why the lo-pro gas block? M4 has an A2 style front sight/block (although it's type F)

I want an unobstructed view through the Red Dot sight.

Originally Posted By RJeff21:
Palmetto builds a good upper.  I think you'll end up saving money in the long run and you might be able to sell your upper for enough to purchase the upper I linked.
ETA:  If you want a longer handguard, you could just shave the FSB down on a new upper and install a FF handguard so you can install the BUIS of your choice.

Thanks for the link looks like they have several in that price range, I guess its just a matter of picking the barrel profile I'm after.  Wonder if they would build one with a shaved FSB?

Am I correct that I'll need to change the recoil spring and buffer to switch from my 20" upper to a 16" version?
Other than that I just drop in my bolt carrier and charge handle and shoot?

Link Posted: 4/27/2013 5:11:05 AM EDT
Originally Posted By M855:
Originally Posted By tapered-pin:why the lo-pro gas block? M4 has an A2 style front sight/block (although it's type F)

Originally Posted By RJeff21:

Thanks for the link looks like they have several in that price range, I guess its just a matter of picking the barrel profile I'm after.  Wonder if they would build one with a shaved FSB?

Am I correct that I'll need to change the recoil spring and buffer to switch from my 20" upper to a 16" version?
Other than that I just drop in my bolt carrier and charge handle and shoot?

Yeah, spring and buffer and you should be good to go. I incorrectly identified the upper I mentioned. The idea was to show you can do what you're wanting to do, with quality stuff at reasonable cost.
Be sure to show us your "new" carbine!

Link Posted: 4/27/2013 5:20:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/27/2013 5:21:57 AM EDT by tapered-pin]
Originally Posted By M855:

If you shoot both eyes open like you're supposed to, you're field of vision will ghost the front sight and you'll be able to effectively see through it.

What I'm saying is that it won't significantly change anything.
If you just want to spend the money then do it, but do it knowing that it won't really change your sight picture, provided you use the sight correctly in the first place.

Top Top