Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2005 7:27:30 AM EDT
One of my current projects is a non-competition marksmanship rifle.  The upper is being manufactured with an appropriate twist to the 20" SS barrel for the ammunition selected and it uses a FF RAS to improve accuracy.  For the lower, I've selected a KAC 2-Stage trigger.  This leaves me thinking about the stock.

My intention was to mount a standard, A2 stock with storgage compartment, in the even a weight is desireable to the owner.  The buyer has, however, asked about certain options in this arena.  During a recent thread concerning telestocks, it was mentioned that some of the new crop of Crane-types and their ilk were fairly stable and rattle-free.

To respond properly to his question, I'd like to know what you folks have found works best on your SPRs or SPR clones, Mark 12 Mod 0/1s (and clones), or outright match rifles.  Photos would be of considerable value, if you can post them.  Other than "it looks cool", is there a valid point to deviating from the A2 stock?

Some of you may mention length of pull, which is normally custom fit.  I've looked at A2 pad extentions and the Fulton adjustable buttplate stock.  What doesn't seem to exist in this category is an A2 with both adjustable buttplate and cheekplate in a lightweight package, since this is not to be a range-only weapon.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:14:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:36:53 AM EDT
[#2]
+1
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:21:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, there's nothing like the industry manufacturing what you're looking for right about when you need it.  Seriously, the estimated release date was the end of August.  I think we can all see it has gone a bit further, although the Industry board hasn't offered a new date.

Also, there's a conspicuous lack of technical data available.  Plus, there is no mount for a QD sling adapter.  The rails will require the sling to be old school mounted.  Not something I prefer, considering ease of breakdown and case storage.  Hopefully, my posts on the industry board will yield some answers.  Of course, if anyone here knows of a third party QD sling adapter that will work, let's hear of it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:38:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:21:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The only real answer to your question is try different stocks and see what works. I dont know how tall or how long your arms are, but you may need a stock shorter than an A2, perhpas an A1.  Its important to keep your shoulders square when in position, so get the stock that lines up best for you.

That's the standard answer, of course.  Trouble with it is, it assumes access to a selection of stocks.  In my case, there are no gun stores in the area that carry AR accessories and the seasonal gun shows are the same.  Anything I want to try or even look at first hand I have to order online and there are no free samples.  Thus, it's not a practical solution.  Plus, I'm not the end user of the rifle, nor am I a marksman.  Incidentally, there are no public ranges in the area, either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top