Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/23/2004 11:51:41 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/23/2004 11:53:45 AM EST by RavenVT100]
I've been using a three-piece screw together rod to clean my AR-15. I remove the handle segment and guide the threaded end of the rod into the breech end of the AR. Then I attach the handle after the threaded end emerges from the muzzle, and pull either a patch or brush through from the breech end. The rod always goes in from breech to muzzle, and never, ever changes direction in the bore.

As I understand it, the one-piece coated rods and bore guides dictate that you insert the rod face-first into the breech, which is the opposite of how I've been doing it. I have a few questions as to how this works.

1. What do you do about brushes? Do you detach the brush when it emerges from the muzzle? Because pulling a brush through both ways will destroy the brush, won't it? I'm assuming that I'll have to get new brushes because all of my brushes are used with my three piece rod and are pulled through.

2. Is it safe to work a patch through both ways if the patch is wrapped around a jag?

3. How safe for my bore is the method I currently use (the method outlined in the -10 manual) vs. the method used with a bore guide and one-piece rod?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:15:30 PM EST
I have always gone in and out with the bore brush just make sure you go all the out before you change directions as that can ruin the brush. When it gets real easy to push and pull the brush it is worn out.

Using a patch on a jag it will only stay on in one direction. Tha patch will fall off the jag if you try to go bach into the bore. Use a "eye" loop for going back and forth.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:18:51 AM EST
Get a .22 boresnake...
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:29:13 AM EST
You can push the brush right through and then pull it all the way out.
Then use patches soaked with cleaner and do the same....
Pushing any brass brush half way in then out in any gun will mess it up.
All the way in then all the way out, dont change direction in the barrel of any gun.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:55:53 PM EST
You should really try a OTIS cleaning kit. Rubber coated pull through cable. Its works great. WarDawg
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:49:47 AM EST

Originally Posted By WarDawg:
You should really try a OTIS cleaning kit. Rubber coated pull through cable. Its works great. WarDawg

+1

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:51:09 AM EST

Originally Posted By WarDawg:

Thats what Im using too
Top Top