Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2013 6:03:50 PM EDT
I've got an A2 Dissy upper to which I've attached A1 handguards and I'd like to make some sort of retro carbine.  I realize that the A2 upper may not be ideal, but I seem to recall there being an early AR carbine with either a fixed or collapsible stock.  
I'd like to build something interesting out of it; give me some guidance.
Moon
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:15:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've got an A2 Dissy upper to which I've attached A1 handguards and I'd like to make some sort of retro carbine.  I realize that the A2 upper may not be ideal, but I seem to recall there being an early AR carbine with either a fixed or collapsible stock.  
I'd like to build something interesting out of it; give me some guidance.
Moon
View Quote

you talking about a 605?  that was the original retro dissy except it used the rifle length gas system w/ enlarged gas port vs carbine length w/ rifle length sights.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:48:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, actually that was pretty much what I had in mind.
The A2 upper wouldn't be 'period correct', but I could live with the rest; I've successfully installed the A1 handguards, tho' it required removing a bit of the heat shielding.

You description is right for my upper; the gas port is partway back the barrel, and it takes rifle length handguards and has rifle length sights.
I've put it on my A1 lower for the moment, but I'm open to other ideas.  Did those Dissys ever come with collapsible stocks?
Thnx,
Moon
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:51:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, actually that was pretty much what I had in mind.
The A2 upper wouldn't be 'period correct', but I could live with the rest; I've successfully installed the A1 handguards, tho' it required removing a bit of the heat shielding.

You description is right for my upper; the gas port is partway back the barrel, and it takes rifle length handguards and has rifle length sights.
I've put it on my A1 lower for the moment, but I'm open to other ideas.  Did those Dissys ever come with collapsible stocks?
Thnx,
Moon
View Quote

the modern dissipator was created and marketed by bushmaster though the term now pretty much refers to any carbine length gas system with rifle length sights.  bushmaster did offer it with a collapsible stock

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:48:25 PM EDT
[#4]
north hollywood shoot out.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:07:36 AM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

Huh, for some reason I thought the perps used AKs.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:13:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Also note that's a Jeep Gladiator Townside pickup that rifle is laying behind. The other love of my life. I've got three now.

That one sold on ebay a while back, still riddled with bullet holes.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:20:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

They did, but they also had AR's and a G3 I think.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:30:55 AM EDT
[#8]
My 605 build.  Currently configured as a dedicated 22lr.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:44:09 AM EDT
[#9]
AR, you are a starter of much trouble, and you sent me scurrying to the outer garage for the box of AR bits...really think I like the fixed stock better; I've got a stock but perhaps not a buffer tube.  As noted, mine won't be period correct; it has an A2 upper and a birdcage FH.  I built a 'really right' A1 replica with forty year old Colt parts and a NoDak lower; this is going to be more a 'sorta right' thing, but I do like the look and the idea of full length sights in a carbine.
Anyone else, please pipe in.
Thnx,
Moon
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:56:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Or....you could always complete your build with a faux 607 "fixed closed" stock (top rifle).

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 12:17:11 PM EDT
[#11]
OK, AR, where might a fellow find a stock like that?  That is certainly one version I had in mind, but the stock will be a problem.  Hard to find and 'spensive, yes?

Broader question; my lower has a collapsible buffer tube, and I'll need to replace it if I want to use a fixed stock.

Is an armorer's wrench all I'll need to get the castle nut lose, or will I have to drill out the stakings first?

Also, IIRC, all the fixed stock buffer tubes are the same length, while the A2 stock uses a spacer to make up the difference?
I have a couple decent A1 stocks in my junk stash, so that's the direction that I'm apt to go.

Thanks,
Moon
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:05:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Do it!
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:38:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:06:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Do it!
<a href="http://s340.photobucket.com/user/banshee207/media/100_4672-1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i340.photobucket.com/albums/o355/banshee207/100_4672-1.jpg</a>
View Quote

Save for the A1 upper, that's pretty much what I'll have.  Ordered an A1 buffer tube and an armorer's wrench this AM; already have a couple decent A1 buttstocks (who in hell do the A2's fit?).  I've zeored it with the NoDak lower, so I'll just need the parts to redo the existing Colt lower, and put the NoDak back on the A1.
I have a lower parts kit that was lightened by a guy who used to do business here; this one passes a function test, but another one he did for me would double.  I'll live with it for awhile, see how well I like the gun, and then perhaps get an SSA for it.
Is there a version of the G2S for large-pin guns?
Moon
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top