BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/28/2005 1:12:44 PM EDT
I've seen mention of it, but I don't really see a goo discussion thread about it.

Please have mentioned trunk guns, etc. What are the "environmental" consequences of carrying an AR in a car trunk? This is of course assuming legalness, etc. etc. I'm looking for humidity, cold, etc. affecting rifle function.

Comments?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:33:52 PM EDT
[#1]
You WILL get condensation in a trunk.  

The whole gun needs to be lubed (chamber and barrel slightly too) to prevent rust.  

I didn't have the ejection port cover of my AR lubed enough, and it rusted through the park slightly after about a week in the trunk.  A little CLP and a toothbrush took care of it, and some extra lube has prevented further rusting.  

Use some type of case to guard against knocks and it will help with the condensation some too.  

Other than that, there have been no issues from 100 degree summer heat, to -10 winter cold.  

Extremely hot temps will make ammo degrade faster than normal.  Make sure to rotate any ammo in there regularly.  

I once had a blued 1911 turn into a ball of rust after a week in a trunk with a leak, and it had been raining all week too.  

I highly recommed any "trunk gun" be finished in a rust-resistant coating (duracoat, kg guncoat, etc.).  
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:36:31 PM EDT
[#2]
i have never had a problem with leaving my rifle in the trunk but of course i live in tx and know my local laws that it is a rifle which is legal.

look up your local laws and keep a the rifle oiled.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:38:26 PM EDT
[#3]
try to refrain from keeping your rifle in rifle cases since the foam retains moisture
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:52:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I think I'd like to forego the environmental concerns and drive towards the possible legalities of the proposition.

1. If I were an LEO, I could assume premeditation should you even get to use the weapon in a situation. Regardless of the situation, I would think the lawyers would have a field day with Joe Citizen carrying around a "offensive" weapon.

2. Again, during a routine traffic stop, I pop the trunk and ask "What is that for?". This takes us back to point one.

I'm of course making a few assumition but since I don't live in a CCW state, I could imagine what carrying around a weapon would look like if I could not easily prove that I was tranporting it to or from a range. Odds of trouble would increase should the cradle is a permanent part of the vehicle make for easy access.

No flames please, just my own thoughts.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:59:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I think I'd like to forego the environmental concerns and drive towards the possible legalities of the proposition.

1. If I were an LEO, I could assume premeditation should you even get to use the weapon in a situation. Regardless of the situation, I would think the lawyers would have a field day with Joe Citizen carrying around a "offensive" weapon.

2. Again, during a routine traffic stop, I pop the trunk and ask "What is that for?". This takes us back to point one.

I'm of course making a few assumition but since I don't live in a CCW state, I could imagine what carrying around a weapon would look like if I could not easily prove that I was tranporting it to or from a range. Odds of trouble would increase should the cradle is a permanent part of the vehicle make for easy access.

Good grief.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:04:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Thanks for the thoughts, but they were not asked for nor should be part of this topic.

I live in a CCW state and hold 2 CCW licenses.

Your argument is invalid as "premeditation" would then also apply to me legally carring a pistol on my person.

At a routine traffic stop, Oregon residents are not required to tell the officer about any weapons in the car (unless asked). However, out of respect for the officer, and the fact that "Dangerous" or "CHL holder" will flash on his computer, people typically also hand over their CHL with their DL.

I guess it's a good thing you're not an LEO.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:06:00 PM EDT
[#7]
My problem is that i drive a truck with no room under or behind the seat,that sucks.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:06:23 PM EDT
[#8]
So so far:

- Hard/waterphilic coating
- Oil rubdown
- Rotate ammo
- Rotate batteries (same as ammo)
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:15:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
So so far:

- Hard/waterphilic coating
- Oil rubdown
- Rotate ammo
- Rotate batteries (same as ammo)

-check local laws
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:16:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

An unloaded rifle locked in the trunk of a car is not a concealed weapon by any legal definition.  Nor is it illegal per se in most states (NJ being a notable exception, where you have to be on your way to or from the field or range only).
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:16:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

This would likely vary heavily from state to state.  I doubt anyone would care in Texas.  Lots of folks have posted about being stopped and the officer not caring about the AR.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:17:28 PM EDT
[#12]
For longer storage periods I have used Bore-Stores (tm)
Silicone Treated Gun Storage Cases with good success.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:19:44 PM EDT
[#13]
No batteries.  Well let me clarify. I live in AZ.  Batteries in a locked trunk in July might not last a day.  Heat kills them.  Also, excessive heat may cause them to explode.  Seen it twice in Maglights kept in the passenger compartment.  Trunk is much hotter.  

Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:23:49 PM EDT
[#14]
in washington, you can have a rifle/shotgun in your car.  As long as it's not loaded.  Loaded means, round in the chamber, or a loaded magazine "attached" to the rifle.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:24:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

See federal law, 1986 FOPA. 100% legal in every definition as long as it's transported correctly. Applies to all 50 states.

BTW, you ain't poppin' shit without a warrant or permission, except maybe your mouth.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:24:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the thoughts, but they were not asked for nor should be part of this topic.

I live in a CCW state and hold 2 CCW licenses.

Your argument is invalid as "premeditation" would then also apply to me legally carring a pistol on my person.

At a routine traffic stop, Oregon residents are not required to tell the officer about any weapons in the car (unless asked). However, out of respect for the officer, and the fact that "Dangerous" or "CHL holder" will flash on his computer, people typically also hand over their CHL with their DL.

I guess it's a good thing you're not an LEO.

Actually I am glad he brought it up, because this perfectly shows some of the issues you may run into if you were stopped with an AR in the trunk.

Just because you don't like it or don't think its right doesn't mean it can't or won't happen that way.  

And you asked for legal issues concerning it.  That is a very valid comment, given its the perspective that many of the people who ENFORCE the laws may have.

Cops are not always experts on firearm laws.  If you assume they are, then you're an idiot.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:36:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
And you asked for legal issues concerning it.

No I did not as this is NOT the topic of the thread.

Only practical issues concerning the rifle function/storage only please.

Save it for another thread.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:42:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:44:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
And you asked for legal issues concerning it.

No I did not as this is NOT the topic of the thread.

Save it for another thread.

You said assuming legalness.  Assuming it is legal, you MAY STILL RUN INTO THAT SORT OF ATTITUDE.  That is all he is saying, and like it or not, he's right.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:51:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Great topic, poor excuse for a tag

Thanks Mr. Moderator.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:09:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Here is a consequence of keeping an AR in your trunk........

archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=32&t=200846
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:44:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I retract my comment. I guess I was too far out of the box when I responded to "Consequences of "carrying" an AR in the trunk?" and not limiting myself to possible damage to the weapon.

Apologizes to all.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:53:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Just vaccum shrinkwrap the AR so it doesn't contact any moisture!

Oh... you actually want to USE it....
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:54:57 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

See federal law, 1986 FOPA. 100% legal in every definition as long as it's transported correctly. Applies to all 50 states.

BTW, you ain't poppin' shit without a warrant or permission, except maybe your mouth.

"Sir, do you mind if I take a look in your trunk?" "Hell yes I mind! Go write my ticket."

For the record, a policeman cannot search any part of your vehicle that is inaccessable by you without your permission or a warrant. You should really know your rights better than this.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:11:53 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Cliff Notes version, for those who are not Team Members, please?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:48:56 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
try to refrain from keeping your rifle in rifle cases since the foam retains moisture

I have a Plano Air Glide case. The only parts of the rifle that touch anything are part of the buttstock and part of the forearm- about 2" each with a nylon strap holding it still. The case is airline approved.
It would be my choice if I owned a car and needed to keep one in the trunk. I drive either a Chevy p/u or a Jeep Wrangler. I can't hide things for shit in either one, although my cased rifle will fit behind my seat if I use a soft case.
Jim
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:54:00 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Sir, do you mind if I take a look in your trunk?" "Hell yes I mind! Go write my ticket."

For the record, a policeman cannot search any part of your vehicle that is inaccessable by you without your permission or a warrant. You should really know your rights better than this.

YOU should know your rights, as the police CAN search your car without your permission or a warrant, its called probable cause, and before you go around internet-lawyering, you should understand the law and its execution a little more.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:26:39 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He got his LEO SBR AR stolen from the trunk of his ride.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:27:35 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't forget the addedum: "or under reasonable suspicion". So if the officer sees a dime bag, even empty, on the car seat/floor, it's car searchin' time.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:47:02 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

YOU should know your rights, as the police CAN search your car without your permission or a warrant, its called probable cause, and before you go around internet-lawyering, you should understand the law and its execution a little more.

Asking to search car = fishing expedition.  If there was probable cause, they wouldn't ask.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:47:41 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He got his LEO SBR AR stolen from the trunk of his ride.

Thanks.  That sucks.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:50:57 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

it got stolen.

ETA: shoulda checked  page 2
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:52:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Well I don't have a trunk on either of my viehicles, but if I did, I wouldn't be keeping an AR in there.  There is just too much possibility of corosion (especially in oregon).  Then again, I live in AZ, so if I'm going to be carrying arround a fully loaded rifle it will be in the passenger compartment where it can do some good.h
Something else to consider, several years ago I was in an auto accident back when I drove a Ford Mustang, nobody was hurt, and nothing inside the passenger compartment was dammaged, but my heavy gauge craftsman toolbox (in the trunk) got smashed to the point that the lid never would close propperly.  Wouldn't want that to happen to my AR.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:01:44 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

For the record, can you identify the specific state or federal law that prescribes the exact characteristics that define an "offensive" weapon?

Officer: "What's that for?"
Me: "Nothing, I hope."

Quoted:

Respectfully, I don't think that getting it stolen was a consequence of keeping it in his truck.  It is true that had he not left it in the truck that night, it would not have been stolen, but that doesn't translate into "it was stolen BECAUSE it was in his truck."  It was stolen because a no good dirty thief broke into his car and stole it.  Following your line of reasoning we could assume that it was stolen because he bought it.  Because, had he not bought the weapon, it would'nt have been stolen.

I would rather keep a rifle in the truck then have people eye balling me every morning & night while I carry it from the front door to the trunk and back.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:44:39 AM EDT
[#35]
If a cop really wants to search your car he will.

The thing is not to be breaking any laws and get stopped in the first place. That being said I could not care less what weapons I find in a car UNLESS the suspect is obviosly a dirtbag.
Down South in Dixie, and I would assume out west (excluding Kalifornia) people just don't get too excited just seeing a gun.

By the way a drug dog will also get into your vehicle.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:15:25 AM EDT
[#36]
If you're driving in AZ or TX make sure you can read Spanish, and you know the names of the border towns.  Every year some poor sucker takes a wrong turn and finds himself in a line of cars waiting to go into Mexico.  Can't turn around without going through customs-- If the Mexicanos ask you if you have any firearms and you say yes, it's hasta la vista baby!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:30:04 AM EDT
[#37]
I know first hand what happens to an AR10 when left in a case in a Wisconsin trunk during the summer for only a week.  No permanent damage, but some surface corrosion.  The rifle had a very light coat of oil on most of it, but that wasn't enough.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:13:06 AM EDT
[#38]
An offer to go shooting with the LEO,also,LEO would want to know where I got the parts(old M-16 stock with no trap-door,and polished,just like they were when first produced,along with handguards).
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:38:11 AM EDT
[#39]
If I decided to store a rifle in the trunk, I'd use rig grease on the outside metal and a heavy coat of clp inside. (don't forget the barrel under the handguards).

Also (I never tried this on a gun) but some cops in the days of blued revolvers would use paste car wax on thier handguns.

SoS
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:26:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Zoot,

Probable cause is when you have a reason to serach the trunk like blood coming from it or something.  Otherwise they cant search your trunk only your pasenger compartment.  Denying them access to the trunk is NOT probable cause!

Next, I got pulled over doing 90 coming off the freeway, was accused of fleeing form the police I did not see because of my speed, had 2 loaded pistols and a loaded AK in the trunk with half a mag empty, round in the chamber and the barrel was still warm!

They did ask "Why do you have an assault rifle in the trunk?"  I gave the same answer I always give... "I went to the range to go shooting."

After 8 more squad cars show up and 30 minutes later I get a ticket and my guns returned.

So long as I removed the rifle from the trunk every couple of weeks and oiled it it was fine (CLP).  It was showing minor rust after a month with no care.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:29:17 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
If a cop really wants to search your car he will.

The thing is not to be breaking any laws and get stopped in the first place. That being said I could not care less what weapons I find in a car UNLESS the suspect is obviosly a dirtbag.
Down South in Dixie, and I would assume out west (excluding Kalifornia) people just don't get too excited just seeing a gun.

By the way a drug dog will also get into your vehicle.

Not unless the drug dog smells drugs and even then only if he smells them in the trunk.  If you HAVE drugs they will arrest you and search the car when its impounded.  Police officers cant just search your trunk because they want to.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:01:17 AM EDT
[#42]
I use a 4 mil plastic bag with a dessicant pack inside. Tears quickly, and keeps moisture out effectively.

Also, a general legal question.. If an officer asks if there are weapons in the car, and you reply yes, are they legally entitled to open your trunk to check the weapon? This in light of laws requiring unloaded weapons.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:04:09 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I use a 4 mil plastic bag with a dessicant pack inside. Tears quickly, and keeps moisture out effectively.

Also, a general legal question.. If an officer asks if there are weapons in the car, and you reply yes, are they legally entitled to open your trunk to check the weapon? This in light of laws requiring unloaded weapons.

You do not have to answer.  You have the right to remain silent.  Not answering is not probable cause. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:32:55 AM EDT
[#44]
There is a lot of myth and misinformation here.  This is a topic that could take weeks to explain fully, so understand that I am only trying to give a small bit of information on a very large subject.  Furthermore, jurisdictions vary as to interpretations of law.  Also note that I am not an attorney and can not give legal advice.

Probable cause is the reasonable belief that a person has committed a crime.  

If an officer has PC to believe that you have committed a crime and he has reason to believe that there is evidence of that crime, he is entitled to obtain a search warrant to gather that evidence.  

There are several EXCEPTIONS to the search warrant rule, however.  One exception has to do with motor vehicles and the possibility that the evidence could be easily moved and/or destroyed.  Because of the "motor vehicle exception to the search warrant rule" a vehicle may be searched, including the trunk, if an officer has PC.

Each situation depends on the totality of the circumstances and it is difficult to give a blanket statement about when a search is warranted.  Furthermore, PC may differ by jurisdiction and the laws of that area.

ETA: Sorry for being off topic.  I couldn't resist.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:38:42 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I doubt anyone would care in Texas.  Lots of folks have posted about being stopped and the officer not caring about the AR.

Doesn't matter if they "care" or not... since carrying a long gun in a vehicle in Texas (loaded or otherwise) is not prohibited in any way.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:43:46 AM EDT
[#46]

Don't forget the addedum: "or under reasonable suspicion". So if the officer sees a dime bag, even empty, on the car seat/floor, it's car searchin' time.

I got pulled over for running a red light once when I was a young punk. The cop asked to search the car and I agreed (nothing to hide, not wanting a fuss). At this point I should probably say I'm something of a messy driver and eat in the car pretty regularly. So the cop is searching the car and comes across a baggie. You could tell he thinks he's onto something now. As he shines his flashlight into the baggie he asks, "what's this?" The look on his face when I told him it was the baggie from my lunch sandwich and he realizes he's staring at mayo residue was priceless . . .
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:49:40 AM EDT
[#47]

I carried a canvas military tool bag in the trunk of my car for years. The trunk leaked and was often wet. After several years of carrying tools around in a damp bag I sold the car and cleaned out the trunk. Sure enough, some of the tools had some surface rust on them. One pair of pliers was almost rusted shut.

That experience tells me that under really crappy conditions trunk storage will cause metal things to rust (pretty astute, huh?). It also tells me that even a little bit of routine maintenance would probably head off any major problems. I'm assuming you won't be carrying your "baby" but rather a rifle that's got a little wear and use and is fitting for leaving in a trunk. Given that you probably aren't too concerned what it looks like you should be able to keep the thing running good buy pulling it out and oiling it every few weeks.

Personally, I'd be more worried about theft.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:54:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Here is one way to secure an AR in the truck.

www.galls.com/style.html?assort=general_catalog&style=VP218

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:16:25 PM EDT
[#49]
There are far too many police officers who do not know the law for "it's legal-go look it up" to work.  And even if you do have a concealed carry license, it doesn't mention rifles, does it?  That means simply that an uninformed or malicious officer can make things VERY unpleasant for you and often very expensive, as you may have to get your lawyer to teach the local cops about the law.

On to the main thrust of the point of this thread, I'd want to know how to secure the rifle in the trunk so it doesn't bounce around.  A case typically has foam padding, so it would be bad to keep a rifle in one, and besides, the case would bounce around itself.

And I question the utility of a "trunk gun" in most situations anyway.  It's not like it would be "handy" in case of a serious dustup.  Has anyone read about the guy that got dragged from his car and nearly beaten to death by a mob? Look here for details.  This sort of situation could have been lessened or prevented by one shot from a concealed pistol, but what good would a rifle have been?  In other words, what situation would a "trunk gun" be tactically useful?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:32:30 PM EDT
[#50]
#1, especially in ID or NV, it's not a cops business to know or ask what you have in the trunk during a routine stop, unless you're dripping blood or there's feint murmurs of a person tied up in the trunk.

#2, it's legal, keep quiet about it.  most likely won't ever have to use it to shoot Habib Al Hassan Al Queada.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top