Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 1/4/2006 2:25:34 PM EDT
I just read on the tactical response board that they have introduced a new" AWB and law enforcement protection bill"... again they are trying to make it out to be an us or them issue for the voters...demonize gun owners if they dont "protect LE"... I see it all the time in the medical field... they use kids and cops to get stuff passed....
Anyone else know anything about this?
Anthony
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:27:27 PM EDT
There wasn't any support to extend the ban why would you think they have support for a new bill?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:32:00 PM EDT
Its not a matter of whether they have support, its simply anther shot at it. There are always attempts being proposed, and I doubt it will stop anytime soon.

Probably a better topic for the general area unless we can tie this into an AR15 discussion real quick.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:33:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Stickman:
Its not a matter of whether they have support, its simply anther shot at it. There are always attempts being proposed, and I doubt it will stop anytime soon.

Probably a better topic for the general area unless we can tie this into an AR15 discussion real quick.

Not quick enough...I hope it gets locked.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:40:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By IAMLEGEND:

Originally Posted By Stickman:

Not quick enough...I hope it gets locked.

Here is a shot:

What characteristics are they basing the new ban on?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:43:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By subgunner:
There wasn't any support to extend the ban why would you think they have support for a new bill?

Incorrect. They got all the votes they needed to extend the ban. Fortunately for us, they attached it to the Firearms Manufacturers Protection bill at which point the NRA got the bill killed because the AWB extension and a number of other ignorant laws were attached to it.

I haven't heard anything concrete about a new attempt but I doubt they would get something like that passed right now. Not because they couldn't get enough votes but only because Bush will be keeping congress busy with other bills he will be pushing. Not to say they couldn't try to attach another AWB to something like the (so-called) Patriot Act. Another BS bill that George wants badly.

In 2008 it will be a whole other story. With a Democrat in the White House (and I'll be shocked if we don't) almost anything, gun ban wise, will be possible IMO.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:48:46 PM EDT
Buy Arms now, and often!

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:55:44 PM EDT
Yup. I'm in the process of stocking up on lowers.

I doubt this will pass now, but in 2008 we may be doomed. Awhile back I read an article saying that all of the current Democratic primaries for 2008 are supporters of the Brady Campign.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:02:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cgv69:

Incorrect. They got all the votes they needed to extend the ban. Fortunately for us, they attached it to the Firearms Manufacturers Protection bill at which point the NRA got the bill killed because the AWB extension and a number of other ignorant laws were attached to it.

I haven't heard anything concrete about a new attempt but I doubt they would get something like that passed right now. Not because they couldn't get enough votes but only because Bush will be keeping congress busy with other bills he will be pushing. Not to say they couldn't try to attach another AWB to something like the (so-called) Patriot Act. Another BS bill that George wants badly.

In 2008 it will be a whole other story. With a Democrat in the White House (and I'll be shocked if we don't) almost anything, gun ban wise, will be possible IMO.

A couple of points...

1. The ban could not have been extended. It had a sunset clause so it was dead regardless. The attachment to the protection bill was a new ban.

2. The NRA can't kill anything. They simply lobbied the lawmakers to give up the fight for the manufacturers for the time being. The lawmakers made the decision to let it die.

3. They had 10 years to enact a new ban and they didn't. It didn't even cross anyone's mind until Feinstein created her attachment.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:05:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By olds442tyguy:

I doubt this will pass now, but in 2008 we may be doomed. Awhile back I read an article saying that all of the current Democratic primaries for 2008 are supporters of the Brady Campign.

I had been under the impression pre-ban lowers could be built in a banned config during the ban. But then someone told me (and I believe they furnished a reference) that if you built it up during the ban it had to follow the ban rules.

I'm not saying one way or the other...I honestly don't know which way the law goes.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:07:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cgv69:

Not in the House. A ban will not pass the House anytime in the near future.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:15:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2006 3:18:21 PM EDT by Hylton]
Republicans practically own congress now, the left can only dream, however I see a dim future for 2008, the only advice I can give fellow gun owners now is join a local militia unit, and do it fast
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:16:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By IAMLEGEND:

Originally Posted By olds442tyguy:

I had been under the impression pre-ban lowers could be built in a banned config during the ban. But then someone told me (and I believe they furnished a reference) that if you built it up during the ban it had to follow the ban rules.

I'm not saying one way or the other...I honestly don't know which way the law goes.

I never understood this, as the ATF views the AR15 lower reciever as a firearm all together. The rest are replacement parts, and many rifles were built during the AWB similarly. I'm not sure though, but I'm going to try my best to have them complete by 2008.

On another scary thought, I was just searching for new AWB ban junk on yahoo, and I found a comment from someone saying the imported barrel ban may have been backed off due to an upcoming larger ban that would have made the barrel ban pointless.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:21:42 PM EDT
I’m not to sure on the matter but say the ban passed, what are we looking at here, total confiscation or the grandfather process?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:27:07 PM EDT
On an even Scarier Note , I heard they're going to Ban PIE !!

BUT , they will allow you to keep the PIE you already have , as long as you get Neutered
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:35:34 PM EDT
There will never be confiscation only outright war.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:38:13 PM EDT
They would like to think its possible, but I dont ever see that happening

Originally Posted By Hylton:
I’m not to sure on the matter but say the ban passed, what are we looking at here, total confiscation or the grandfather process?

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:07:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bradd_D:
1. The ban could not have been extended. It had a sunset clause so it was dead regardless. The attachment to the protection bill was a new ban.

Semantics - A ban, identical to the original, would have become law for a period of ten years. Call it a new bill or call it an extension, either way, the effect would have been the same.

2. The NRA can't kill anything. They simply lobbied the lawmakers to give up the fight for the manufacturers for the time being. The lawmakers made the decision to let it die.

Again, semantics. The lawmakers did not let it die. They voted it dead. While it is true that the senators where the people who officially voted it dead, it was the NRA that made it happen. This is fact agreed upon by everybody involved (Reps, Dems, NRA and press)

3. They had 10 years to enact a new ban and they didn't. It didn't even cross anyone's mind until Feinstein created her attachment.

Not really sure what your point is here but if you think it didn't cross anybodies mind then I think you are kidding yourself.

I believe it was typical politics. Politicians who promote banning guns don't really care that much about actually doing it. They care about appearance. In their minds they passed the AWB and that made a huge difference (again, in their mind). Senators like Fienswine felt they had already won and didn't really worry about it again until it looked like a real possibility that they were going to loose their calling card.

All that said, most people believe that Fienswine and company really didn't expect to extend (create a new) AWB but instead they added all that other crap to kill the FMP bill. Assuming that was their real agenda, then they were successful.

Originally Posted By happycynic:
Not in the House. A ban will not pass the House anytime in the near future.

Correct, the house is our only real insurance right now but Representatives have to get re-elected every 2 years. By 2010 with a couple of more school shootings and\or terrorist attacks and well... who knows
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:22:06 PM EDT
I'm going to vote for banning democrats in the next election...

Because of all their evil features, they must be dangerous!!!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:18:23 PM EDT
Unfortunately the latest bribery scandal that is blossoming in congress may just swamp the republicans and if I know the spin doctors on the Dem side they could very well ride a way in that sweeps the conservatives out.....and don't think for a minute that the sarah brady and chuck schumer types aren't fully primed and ready to hit the ground running with several preplanned gun control bills to try and make up lost ground.....sad I know but that is the reality we face.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:19:27 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:30:09 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:33:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By sagiguere:
Unfortunately the latest bribery scandal that is blossoming in congress may just swamp the republicans and if I know the spin doctors on the Dem side they could very well ride a way in that sweeps the conservatives out.....and don't think for a minute that the sarah brady and chuck schumer types aren't fully primed and ready to hit the ground running with several preplanned gun control bills to try and make up lost ground.....sad I know but that is the reality we face.

Possible, but I don't think so. One, it broke too early and will likely be old news by election time, and two, because of redistricting most elections won't be competitive.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:12:00 PM EDT
I hate to tell you guys this, but GW Bush said and I quote him here "That if Congress had sent him a new AWB he would've signed it" about the time the old AWB was sunsetting. Lucky for us that Bill Frist and Denny Hastrick would not send him such a bill.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:22:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By HKMP5SDS:
I hate to tell you guys this, but GW Bush said and I quote him here "That if Congress had sent him a new AWB he would've signed it" about the time the old AWB was sunsetting. Lucky for us that Bill Frist and Denny Hastrick would not send him such a bill.

Perfect politics.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:42:46 PM EDT
I know it's so funny how conservatives embrace the Republicans when in fact they do everything OPPOSITE of what conservatives stand for. IE, the last 2 major gun bans, more spending and deficit than ever, etc.

People claim the liberals = democrats when in fact the dems have had nothing to do with major anti-gun legislation in the last 15 years. Sure clinton had to toss a few to the anti-gunners here and there but it was nothing like Reagan and Bush Sr.

- rem
Top Top