Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 9/16/2004 6:44:36 AM EST
Hello,

I am toying with the idea of building my first AR, after reading as many posts in this forum and researching BM's website I think I can do it. Problem is, I have no idea where to start. My question is, how do those of you that build AR's all of the time start out and what peices do you recommend? I am trying to save money over buying a completed rifle. I know I will need a lower and I was thinking about a BM, calvary, or Ameetek. After that I have no idea if I should buy a completed upper and barrel assembly or build from scratch. Heck, I don't even know what I should expect to pay for any of the parts as I find different prices all over the web. I do know I would like a 16" M4 style barrel with collapsable stock and FH, I haven't decided on A2 or A3 upper yet. Any insite, suggestions, potential costs, ways to save cash, or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:34:22 AM EST
im no expert by any means but im doing what your doing except im building a Varmint rig..heres how i started.

I ordered a LAR cosmeticlly blemished A3 upper from Dave at LAR (they have A2's also) but i wanted a A3,due to more mounting options,scope being closer to the barrel. http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=195676

then i ordered a RRA bolt carrier group from RBprecision from here. http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=212275&page=1

then i orderd a charging handle and barrel wrench,Armorers action block from www.model1sales.com

now just need to order a freefloat handgaurd and barrel and ill have a complete upper. then im gonna get a lower from here and start on that...check out the equipment exchange theres lots of good deals there.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:12:59 AM EST
1. You can save a little money by building yourself, but not a lot. Most people build their own for the personal satisfaction, and to get exactly what they want, or to use parts they already have. By going out and buying all new parts, you wont be saving a ton. I still recommend it.... but dont think its a big cash savings. Especially with the special tool costs you will have to buy.

2. Read the tacked threads at the top of this forum.... it will let you understand what you are getting yourself into, the tools required, etc.....

3. Get the A3 upper. Period. Especially if this is your first rifle. You will wish you would have if you dont. Its a much more open platform for options.

4. I recommend Bushmaster, Eagle, RRA, Stag Arms, LMT, Mega..... basically, any decent name'd lower receiver will do. RRA/Eagle/Stag will save you about $50 off the price of a Bushmaster.

5. Buying a complete upper from Bushmaster will cost about the same as buying the parts and the tools required. If you think you can handle it... and think you will build more... then go the parts route. Buying a complete upper is so easy, because you just slap it on your lower, and a lower takes almost no special tools to build out.

Top Top