Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/20/2004 11:37:00 PM EST
I'm thinking of getting an MRP for multiple reasons including the option of changing calibers. Now I haven't shoot any of my AR's enough to "Wear Out" any components. So, I don't really know what parts typically wear out first and which ones will last a life time. But since the upper is the heart of the MRP system (and the bulk of the price), I'm concerned about the amount of wear and tear on the upper if you are basically shooting two, three, or more calibers off of the same upper.

For example, if you have individual uppers in 5.56mm and 6.8mm and fire 1000rds through each, that would be 1000rds on all of the components of those uppers. But, that would equal 2000rds on the MRP upper. So my question is, how durable is an upper receiver in comparison to other components?

Also, has anyone confirmed when LMT will be offering other calibers for the MRP?

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:39:23 PM EST
I have never heard of anyone wearing out an upper, although I am sure its possible.

LMT says the 6.8 will ship as soon as ammo is readily available.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:43:40 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/20/2004 11:44:09 PM EST by Lumpy196]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:54:53 AM EST
If the part of the upper wears out that retains the charging handle the upper is ruined. I have heard of that happeneing before.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:05:43 AM EST

Originally Posted By DevL:
If the part of the upper wears out that retains the charging handle the upper is ruined. I have heard of that happeneing before.

On the MRP I'd go as far as welding up and re-machining that part. The only time I've ever heard of that problem was with a Vulcan, which isn't made of metal.

Seth
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:38:41 PM EST

Lemme guess, Badger Tac Latch?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 2:26:24 PM EST

Originally Posted By bsbg:

Lemme guess, Badger Tac Latch?

Of course, that can be fixed. Might cost some money though.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 1:41:07 PM EST
What about damage to the rails? Isn't that going to be a problem?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:33:27 PM EST

Originally Posted By Gewehr3:

Short of out right breakage (hard to imagine unless you use it as a make shift trench tool). Its as P.R. says protect the rail interface ie: rail covers whether KAC, Magpul, or others.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 11:10:13 PM EST

Originally Posted By Gewehr3:

Although I plan to cover the rails and I'm typically very carefull with my stuff (i.e. my AR is not a make shift trench tool... I leave that job up to my Strider knives ) I wouldn't be too concerned about a damaged rail. It's not going to stop the rifle from cycling and that's what counts.
Top Top