Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
11/20/2019 5:07:11 PM
Posted: 11/2/2009 3:57:35 PM EST
A local shop has a couple brands of complete lowers on sale and Im debating which one to get, they have both Smith and DPMS, the Smiths are $299 and the DPMS are $249, I know most everybody will say the Smiths are better but are they that much better?? I heard at one time that most of the lowers out there today are made by the same 2 or 3 manufacturers and just stamped for whoever they are being made for, I have bought a DPMS complete lower in the past and Im happy with it, I have also bought Bushmaster and RR and Im happy with them as well, I wont be able to go until Wednesday to make the purchase so I have time to chew on this a bit, any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:12:17 PM EST
They should be about the same. Guess you could try the trigger to compare and look them over but shouldn't be much difference. Is it worth $50 for the S&W logo?

Another option is to buy a stripped lower and build it yourself. I got a S&W M&P-15 for $130 and built it up with Del-Ton parts and stock for another $130. Pretty close to the DPMS that way.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:18:52 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/2/2009 4:24:03 PM EST by ArmedSuspect]
the Smith has better parts and a mil-spec receiver extension (opens up your options for aftermarket stocks).

IMHO it's worth the extra $50.

edit: Rainier Arms has LMT lowers in stock for $330 LINK

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:21:28 PM EST
Wait a sec i thought Stag Arms makes lowers for S&W and a few others...
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:22:23 PM EST
Thanks guys for the input, I will be going over this in my head alot during the next day or so, I wont be able to pair it with a upper for a bit but I figure its a pretty good investment.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:24:59 PM EST
Originally Posted By Wojoz:

way old information

S&W is mostly an *in house* operation these days

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:28:21 PM EST
Originally Posted By ArmedSuspect:

way old information

S&W is mostly an *in house* operation these days

Sorry m8, I guess I've dated myself. Thx for the clarification
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:37:30 PM EST
We have a Smith complete lower in our store and it has one of the nicest single stage triggers I have felt on a stock gun. Definately give the Smith a look, IMO its worth the extra $50.00.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:49:53 PM EST
Im leaning towards one of the Smiths since I dont have one and its a pretty good deal..but the DPMS is a really nice deal as well, the first lower I bought was a DPMS and I paid $279 for it a couple yrs back..so when I seen $249 I was like WOW, it will be spring before I can put a upper with it but thats a whole other debate.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:55:52 PM EST
go smith, what's another $50, maybe 200rds of decent .223
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:00:12 PM EST
Check out Surplus Ammo & Arms- they've had a special on Aero Precision lowers with DPMS parts kits. If you're going to go with a DPMS part kit, you could get one of their specials for a lot less, even with shipping and transfer fee. Aero Precision lowers are first class. I think they advertise in the EE.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:04:26 AM EST
Thanks again guys for the help.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:22:04 AM EST
Friends don't let friends buy DPMS.

Pay the extra $50.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:50:00 AM EST

When I bought my S&W lower last year, I was told that S&W was making them in-house now.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:06:41 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/3/2009 4:11:59 AM EST by MSPRet]
Although I am not a fan of the Spider rollmark and really dislike the "bullet" markings I have read a lot of good things about the Spikes lowers. In the past I have built on mostly Essential Arms and Stag lowers, with a few other companies thrown in here and there, and with great results. Because of the Spikes sale and the "ARFCOM" offered discount I ordered some lowers and spoke with Brian and then Garret yesterday when Brian was on a day off. I called yesterday to finalize the order. I first tried to order online but ran into a problem with the site when trying to order online so I called and Brian was great to deal with. I understand that online there is a box to type in the coupon code "ARFCOM" for a 5% discount. Spikes was good enough to apply the same discount (I think?) with my phone order of over $500, and closer to $600. I still don't know how much the oprder will be since I was told it was difficult to determine how much the total would be (?). I ordered some lowers with the "fire - safe" markings and one or 2 with no logo and the bullet markings to get engraved later. I am going to call again today and talk to Brian (or see if I can reach Tom) and try to determine how much my order will actually cost me. It is very disconcerting ordering something over $500 in value and not knowing exactly how much it is going to cost you Althouigh all in all it has been a good expierence dealing with the people at Spikes. As an added piece of info, the young woman who answers the phone is outstanding, friendly, helpful, and knowledgable....<><....:)
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:40:19 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/3/2009 4:41:35 AM EST by DT2186]
Check out PK firearms up top also. they have some good deals on complete lowers and lowers + LPKs i think they have a sabre lower with RRA LPK + stock intstalled for $265 that's a pretty good deal IMO.

ETA: to add link Sabre lower at PK
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:46:42 AM EST
The resale will be higher with the Smith than the DPMS although both are good.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:18:12 AM EST
I personally believe that you'll be paying 50 extra dollars for the Smith roll marking. That's just my opinion though.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:47:07 AM EST
DSArms is $180 complete
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:06:47 AM EST
The sale actually starts today but I have to work 7-7 so I wont be able to make it up there to check them out, hopefully they still have both brands left, last time I was in that shop they had a Charles Daly lower which I didnt even know they even made lowers, I need another AR like I need a tax audit but they are a good investment and great fun to shoot, I bought my first one a couple years ago but still consider myself very new to the scene, Thanks again for all the replies.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:38:37 AM EST
Spike's Tactical
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:17:18 AM EST
Went ahead and went with the Smith, for $299 I thought it was a good deal on a quality lower(Nothing against DPMS as I have a couple) got to the shop and got nervous when there was none on the shelves..I thought damn did they sell out already, but they had them in a wood cabinet, tons of ARs in there which is a welcome sight compared to a few months ago, now I will have to figure out a upper to put with it after the first of the year, Thanks again guys for the help.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:10:12 PM EST
Originally Posted By MK262:
Friends don't let friends buy DPMS.

Pay the extra $50.

Agree with this. Get the S&W, forget the DPMS.
Top Top