Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/14/2003 10:49:54 AM EDT
Hello, Im new to the AR world so I thought I'd come to best to get some tips/suggestions/advice. I just bought a Pre-Ban Rifle. The lower is an essential arms and the upper is a 20" Colt with Chrome bolt (A-2 upper). I am wanting to rebuild this thing by putting on a collapsable stock and complete upper receiver plus a few other goodies.

The style Im going for is something like this:
A-3 with detachable carry handle
16" M-4 type chrome line barrel with flash hider and bayonet lug plus other little attachable goodis.

Is there any one manufacturer that supercedes all the rest?

A chrome lined barrel I hear is the way to go, but a chromed bolt is not? Is this correct?

The lower reciever is Essential Arms. I bought 2 colt 30 round mags to use with it, but when I put the mags in they were extremely tight. I spoke with the guy I bought em from and he said that there should be no problem with the fit so he said to send em back and he'd send me 2 more to try. Now, assuming that there is a compatibility problem rather then just defective mags, is there anything I should know about matching an upper to this type of lower?

Im sure I'll have more questions, but these are the biggies for right now. Thanks for advance for the help people!
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 11:45:31 AM EDT
I think you'll be safe with Bushmaster, Colt, DPMS and Rock River Arms.They all make complete uppers with chrome-lined barrels in the 16" M4 configuration.Depends on what barrel twist you want.BM and RRA make thrm in 1/9 and Colt and DPMS make them in 1/7. You really don't need a chromed bolt/carrier It's possible the lower is a little out of spec if the mags were a little tight.If the mags still fit in and lock you should still be ok.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 2:00:26 PM EDT
Thanks Red. The configuration I described... is it good for all around you think? Are there any distributors of Bushmaster besides going directly through BM itself? I haven't found any for BM, but everyone seems to carry uppers for most other brands. Mainly trying to see if I can get it for a little less then what they offer it for.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 2:01:13 PM EDT
Welcome. [wave]
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 5:21:20 PM EDT
Not to threadjack, but if I want a 20" A2 upper with a chrome-lined barrel what are my options? I understand that DPMS makes a 16" chrome lined, but not a 20"? So far from what I can find it appears that the only people who make a 20" A2 chrome lined are Colt, Bushmaster and J&T? Anyone else?
Top Top