Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/31/2015 2:27:53 PM EDT
I have not been able to get out to the range, and probably won't be able to either for another two weeks but wanted to start another PA10 thread related to mine specifically.  Mated the blem lower and 18" SSK15 upper and a couple of things jumped out at me.  In deciding to go with PSA I read a lot about the issues and non issues folks have experienced.  Wish I would have book marked some those that I ran across lol.  So here are my observations from just manually cycling it with live ammunition, empty mag, empty mag well.  Cleaned and lubed, PMAG 10 rd'er.  I suspect that these are minor things that will work themselves out after a proper break in.  Any input or thoughts on the below is welcomed and appreciated.

**Feels as though the chamber is tight.  No problems cycling at all, just needs a little more pressure/pull of the charging handle but hasn't gotten stuck forward once.  I imagine it will loosen up some after a bit.  With our without ammo it really didn't feel any different.  Ejects at 4 o'clock.

**Some scoring on the brass.  Didn't take a pic but obvious vertical scoring, as well as light horizontal scoring above the vertical score.  Not gouged by any means, more like scratches.

**Bolt catch is hitting upper receiver.  I saw a post about this previously but can't seem to find it.  Never checked it until I mated the upper and lower.  Releases fine but it does need a little more pressure than I'm accustomed to.  

**Bolt SLAMS home pretty hard.  Much harder than what I have experienced with ar15's of many makes.  Not sure if this normal for the 10's but an observation.

**Overall a snug/tight fit.  A little too snug for my liking but I think I may have let the negative posts get into my head a little.

Looking forward to getting her out to the range for a full break in.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:54:19 PM EDT
[#1]
A .223 and a .308 AR are like comparing apples and oranges.  It's going to take more force to retract the bolt on a .308, it has a heavier reciprocating mass to handle the higher energy level of the bigger cartridge. As well the heavier mass has greater closing force to feed the larger/heavier cartridge as well. Can't help you on the other issue as you've provide to little data to make a reasonable guess.  Post some pictures and some one will come along and be able to tell you where/how the brass is being damaged or if it's normal feeding wear.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:37:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Here are a few shots, not the greatest but you definitely see the horizontal markings on the brass and on the projectiles.  The second and last pic is the clearest I could get for the vertical scoring.

20150901_182820 by , on Flickr

20150901_182804 by , on Flickr

20150901_182744 by , on Flickr

20150901_182706 by , on Flickr

20150901_182633 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/124445440@N03/url], on Flickr

20150901_182616 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/url], on Flickr

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:59:11 PM EDT
[#3]
The front to back marking on the projectile is most likely from the feed ramps.  Fairly common on AR 15's as well.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:39:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine was really tight too.  Lube the shit out of it and shoot it like you stole it.

My bolt seemed to make some impressions and raised defects on the brass case  around the extractor recess on the bolt face.  I don't know if anyone else sees that or if it is normal.  I just hit it with a file and reloaded the cases.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top