Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/21/2006 3:42:36 PM EDT
Hi, sorry for the NOOBness of the post, but I'm completely new to optics. Although I have been shooting for years, it's always been with irons. Anyway, I'm gonna build an M4-forgery (flat top), and would like to mount the Burris dot on it. Now, what kind of (simple) mount should I use? Something like an ARMS #5? That one looks like a fairly simple mount . All I want is something that I can detach easily enough on ocassion, but I don't want to spend a small fortune on just the mount.

For another stupid question, are the normal rings enough to attach the sight to the mount? I'm not even sure what rings to use (it's a 1x35 mm sight). Everybody seems to have 30mm rings, but  not 35mm. Burris offers their "Xtreme tactical Picatinny-style rings" (in 30mm). I assume that's what I would need, but again, I'm not sure.

Thanks for any info on this matter. I feel like I felt 4 years ago about ARs in general...
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:11:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Somebody must have used an XTS-135 somewhere...
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:19:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh well, I sent a message to Burris, and I was told that the "Tactical Rings" they make (30mm) are all that is needed to mount on the AR, since the rings mount directly on the Picatinny rail. If I use the 1" high rings (extra high), the sight will co-witness with the front sight.

At least I know now...
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:00:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Oh well, I sent a message to Burris, and I was told that the "Tactical Rings" they make (30mm) are all that is needed to mount on the AR, since the rings mount directly on the Picatinny rail. If I use the 1" high rings (extra high), the sight will co-witness with the front sight.

At least I know now...

Sorry I did not see your thread earlier.  I am also thinking of mounting an XTS135.  It is a 30mm housing and looks similar to the Aimpoint Comp series.  Because of this I believe that any Aimpoint mount should work.  I am going to try an ARMS #22M68.  

Any 30mm Ring should work though.  The Aimpoint QRP mounts are pretty cheap if you want something besides the Burris XTS rings...
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:49:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I have an XTS mounted in the Burris Xtra High rings.  This setup allows for me to co-witness in the lower third of the optic

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:53:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

At least I know now...

Sorry I did not see your thread earlier.  I am also thinking of mounting an XTS135.  It is a 30mm housing and looks similar to the Aimpoint Comp series.  Because of this I believe that any Aimpoint mount should work.  I am going to try an ARMS #22M68.  

Any 30mm Ring should work though.  The Aimpoint QRP mounts are pretty cheap if you want something besides the Burris XTS rings...

That wouldn't be a bad idea, but I just checked the price on the QRP mount, and it is priced at $86, the  Burris rings are priced at $25 each, and I think that I need only one, as indicated by the pictures above.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:55:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Which BUIS do you have? ARMS 40?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:17:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have an XTS mounted in the Burris Xtra High rings.  This setup allows for me to co-witness in the lower third of the optic

pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL752/3145921/6403888/119351292.jpg

pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL752/3145921/6403888/111452640.jpg

Thanks for the pics!. They also make me realize that I only need one ring, I was going to order two. Do you need the extra high mount for the full co-witness? I won't be using a BUIS for the moment, and would like a lower mount/ring. Would the High (.75") mount interfere with the front sight? How low is the front sight with the extra high ring? I would like to know if I can afford to drop the sight a bit lower and not having the front sight in the way.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:19:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Which BUIS do you have? ARMS 40?

I won't be using a BUIS for the moment, when I want to use irons I'll use the carry handle. Yes, I know about the importance of a BUIS, but this will be a range gun.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:34:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL752/3145921/6403888/119351292.jpg

pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL752/3145921/6403888/111452640.jpg

Thanks for the pics!. They also make me realize that I only need one ring, I was going to order two. Do you need the extra high mount for the full co-witness? I won't be using a BUIS for the moment, and would like a lower mount/ring. Would the High (.75") mount interfere with the front sight? How low is the front sight with the extra high ring? I would like to know if I can afford to drop the sight a bit lower and not having the front sight in the way.

The High mounting ring will work fine.  It will put the dot right at the top of your front sight.

I think you stated that you planned on using your carry handle when you want to shoot with open sights.  If that is the case, you are not going to want to use the Burris mounting ring.  I would recommend the Larue Aimpoint ring.  It can be easily mounted and removed with no loss of zero by using a throw lever.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:25:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the info! Now it's a matter of making the decision, perhaps I won't even shoot it with irons, since I have my 20" A2 for that, and maybe just shoot the M4 with the dot. Or perhaps get the Larue mount. Decisions, decisions...
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:21:46 PM EDT
[#11]
If you thought the Aimpoint QRP ring was expensive at $86 you're not going to like the LaRue any better.  It's $115 at G&R Tactical.  

I'm using rings similar to the Burris ring on sydney7629's rifle for a 2-7x scope and it's been returning to zero just fine switching between the DCH and the scope.  I don't know if having just one ring instead of two would make a difference, but I can't think why it would.  As long as you don't move the dot in the ring and make sure you always put it in the same slot and slide it forward in the slot before tightening it down you should be OK.  

If it were mine, I'd just put a flip-up BUIS behind the dot and leave it on.  Unless I needed the dial-a-distance feature of the handle.  A rifle just looks wrong to me with a red dot and no BUIS...
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:31:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If you thought the Aimpoint QRP ring was expensive at $86 you're not going to like the LaRue any better.  It's $115 at G&R Tactical.  

I'm using rings similar to the Burris ring on sydney7629's rifle for a 2-7x scope and it's been returning to zero just fine switching between the DCH and the scope.  I don't know if having just one ring instead of two would make a difference, but I can't think why it would.  As long as you don't move the dot in the ring and make sure you always put it in the same slot and slide it forward in the slot before tightening it down you should be OK.  

If it were mine, I'd just put a flip-up BUIS behind the dot and leave it on.  Unless I needed the dial-a-distance feature of the handle.  A rifle just looks wrong to me with a red dot and no BUIS...

Yeah, I think I'll have a BUIS there, just in case. Although the most "serious" use I have planned for it will be 3-gun match, with my luck the Burris will go tits-up at  some crucial moment. And $115 for the LaRue, ouch! I'm cheap, I chose the wrong hobby...

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:54:16 PM EDT
[#13]
If you don't mind having the rear sight up all the time you could chop your handle and use it as the BUIS.  (If you don't have the handle yet, most of the BUISs out there are cheaper than the handle.)
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:13:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't have a handle yet, and I'm leaning towards getting a BUIS (I'm 99% certain about it).
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top