Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/26/2003 6:21:36 PM EDT
Interesting reading, I was disappointed on how bad Militec-1 did since I use it, but BF CLP did excellent in this unofficial test. I wish FP-10 and Mobil-1 Syn 15w-50 was tested.

communities.prodigy.net/sportsrec/gz-rust.html
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 12:36:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the link!!

We had an apparently very knowledgeable member here a year or so ago who also described Breakfree CLP as an excellent lubricant and protectant.  He also complained that Miltec-1 was not a good protectant.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 6:00:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Crap! I just switched from CLP to Militec-1.  

I've never found anything that works better than CLP...back to the old standard, I guess.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:27:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Try the Firepower FP-10 CLP.
Raymond
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:41:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Is that the same thing as the Shooters Choice FP10?  I quit using it because I was getting rust that I wasn't getting with Break-Free.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 8:44:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Anybody else notice Militec-1 was missing from the second test results?
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:09:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Try the Firepower FP-10 CLP.It lubes as well as Militec and offers the ability to clean and protect.
I started using Militec september of last year and really loved the stuff.But after getting some pretty serious rust that affection ended for me.
Raymond
View Quote

What rusted, and what were the conditions?
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 2:05:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I read somewhere on this site that Shooters Choice and FP-10 are exactly the same product. I was an user of Militec-1 and was pretty disappointed when I read the article, I can say that Militec-1 seems to evaporate after a few days, it doesn't stay on either. But I just got my free packet sample from FP-10 (use to be a nice size sample bottle) today and will begin to try it out. My problem with BF CLP is that it gets gummy on me.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 2:11:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Has anyone tried this lube?

[img]http://www.advantexcom.net/~quino/pics2/anallube.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 2:37:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is that the same thing as the Shooters Choice FP10?  I quit using it because I was getting rust that I wasn't getting with Break-Free.
View Quote

That depends on how old the bottle of Shooters Choice FP-10 is.
George Fennell at Firepower said he updated the Firepower FP-10 formula to meet the MIL-L-63460D the first of last year.
If I remember correctly he said that SC did not get the new formula until the mid part of the year.
Do a search on 1911.com for FP-10 and start reading.
He also discussed it here at one point a few months ago.
The bottle of SC I bought last week from my local gunshop was the old formula.Its been there at the shop for awhile though.
As per Mr.Fennell the old formula needs to be shaken and the new does not.
The old formula has a cloudy(milky looking) amber color after shaking.
The new formula is a clear amber color and will not be cloudy.
HTH
Raymond
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 2:49:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Ive been using Firepower FP-10 since last December and have not had a problem with it.
Raymond
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 2:56:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Deleted.
Raymond
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 11:52:25 AM EDT
[#12]
He is a link from FP-10 themselves and it directly compares to Breakfree CLP. The pictures speaks volumes.

[url]http://www.fp10.com/FP-10testing/index.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:56:21 PM EDT
[#13]
After reading that test I did a test just like this one about a year ago to see if I would get more or less the same results and posted it here.  Don't know if it can be found or not but anyway.  I have used Eezox on all my guns and started using Militec1 as well at that time so I was interested.  I did get the same results no BS.  Militec1 sucked as a preservative/corrosion resistant.  I covered bare shiny slightly sanded large nails with some CLP products and sprayed them with salt water.  My results were:

EEZOX  #1(by far)
Breakfreeclp  #2 (excellent)
Militec1 #3  (rotten)

in fact militec one rusted almost as quickly as the non coated (control) nail.  The Breakfree nail took about one week and the Eezox nail never rusted or looked any different from day one.  I tried everything to rust that last nail but gave up. I was spraying the nails 2 to 3 times a day and covering with water in doing so.  Then leaving them outside to the other elements.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 10:34:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Deleted due to an email received about my comments.
Raymond
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 12:31:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Blank, I saw the same letter Militec-1 sent to the Gov't, that is pretty pathetic and made me respect Militec-1 even less when they claim the US govt is getting US soliders killed in the Mid East by not using Militec. I assume the govt tested it and it sucked, that is why they use a CLP like BF, IMO. I already tossed the rest of my Militec in the trash, it's good for that I can say!
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:00:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
... I already tossed the rest of my Militec in the trash, it's good for that I can say!
View Quote

I don’t know that I’d throw it away!!

Oddly enough, in my experience at least, Miltec-1 seems to be a pretty good (albeit expensive) nitro solvent.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:16:37 PM EDT
[#17]
As a lube I think it(Militec 1) is fine.....better than fine...but like stated above it simply sucks as a protectant.  And for there website way of blaming the Mil. for deaths......not cool!  Especially while troops are in theatre with their lives on the line.  Doesnt seem like a smart way to gather respect!  If you like BF CLP try some EEZOX if you run across it.  It's alot like BF but better at protecting.  The same in CL department.  I use both.  Whatever is cheaper at my local gun store
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top