Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2004 7:42:36 PM EDT
I picked up a TA44 with the yellow dot reticle to take to Iraq in the very near future with my guard unit.  I'm curious how the vertical bar is used for bullet drop.  What are the aproximate ranges for the bar.  I was thinking the top end was for 400 meters and the bottom end was for 500 meters.  This would be for the M16A2.

I noticed the larger ACOG models had horizontal lines and numbers in the reticle for range, but I'm uncertain as to where the unnumbered vertical bar on my model falls.  I didn't see anything in the manual and digging around on Trijicon's web page didn't reveal anything.

Also, does anybody know how the trajectories compare between the iron sights zeroed at 25 meters and the ACOG zeroed at 25 meters as well?   Sight is mounted atop the M16A2 carry handle and firing M855 ammo.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:46:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you sure its a BDC? I thought only full size ACOGs had the ballistic drop compensator.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:47:57 PM EDT
[#2]
How is the yellow dot working out for you? I hear that its a real bear in the desert, that it blends in. Any truth to this?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:07:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Are you sure its a BDC? I thought only full size ACOGs had the ballistic drop compensator.

I don't see what else it'd be used for, unless it's just for ensuring vertical weapon positioning.

How is the yellow dot working out for you? I hear that its a real bear in the desert, that it blends in. Any truth to this?

Haven't gotten there yet.  But here in Vegas it seems plenty bright under daylight and stands out good for the few minutes I've been playing with it.  Offers more field of view than standard iron sights do, and it's faster to put on the target.  If the yellow is a problem in the desert though, I'll be sure to make mention of it when I get over there.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:12:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I believe it is just for vertical reference.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:13:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Vertical weapon positioning is a possibility. Let us know if you need anything over there.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:50:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I asked Trijcon what the vertical line was for on my TA50-6 and all it's used for is a vertical reference.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:03:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

i haven't had any problem with mine here in AZ...i used it for one of the local rifle matches and it worked out great.
the only time you have washout is if you are in a dark area, looking at a very bright, light colored background.  so its no good for sniping out of caves i guess.....
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:00:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:38:54 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
the only time you have washout is if you are in a dark area, looking at a very bright, light colored background.  so its no good for sniping out of caves i guess.....

This sounds similar to the issue with the Trijicon Reflex. I thought ACOGs had etched reticles to prevent this sort of thing. Are the Compact ACOGs different?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:06:06 AM EDT
[#10]
The bar just helps prevent cant.

I could never figure out how to use the reticle in my 2x20 with triangle for holdover.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:55:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The bar just helps prevent cant.

I could never figure out how to use the reticle in my 2x20 with triangle for holdover.

Some of the guys were screwing around with a TA-47 and if  your 2x20 is carry handle mounted, the top of the post is a good aiming point for 10 yards and closer precision shots(like trying to hit the bad guy hiding behind a hostage).  

Or you can just hold the triangle about the shoulders for COM hits really close up.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:11:08 PM EDT
[#12]
innocent_bystander,
    How do you like the 2x20?  I am undecided between it and the 3x24.  Not having looked through either, I find myself rationalizing back and forth between the two...  Buying both, however, is not an option!  have
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:16:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:16:44 PM EDT
[#14]
new ar-guy,
    thanks - I really appreciate the input.  I find myself leaning towards the 2x20 more and more for the reasons you highlighted.  I just wish I could look through each model one time before dropping an order... Copperhead
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:27:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
innocent_bystander,
    How do you like the 2x20?  I am undecided between it and the 3x24.  Not having looked through either, I find myself rationalizing back and forth between the two...  Buying both, however, is not an option!    

Dumped the TA01, compact 2x20 and the Elcan. Went back to all Aimpoints. For magnified optics I use Leupold. I'm done with Trijicon.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top