Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2004 2:10:56 PM EDT
I am looking at getting this barrel from RRA. It's the Chrome Lined R-4 Barrel Assembly, 16" CAR, with Muzzle Brake, Post-Ban ($230).

This will be used on a gun that will not be shot full auto, or rapidly. I will be mostly shooting more carefully aimed shots with several second pauses in between if that give you an idea of its use. I do want fairly lightweight, but that's not a huge concern. The main reason I picked this barrel is because it sounds like RRA makes good barrels and I like the way it looks. What I want to know is if it really is a good barrel, if the price is a good price, and if there is  better barrel that I should be looking at instead. I know BM is supposed to also be very good and apprently use a better steel. The RRA barrel is chrome lined though, so I don't know if that makes any difference in how close it is to quality of the BM barrels. Any input or links to barrels that you think would be a good choice instead are welcome. Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 2:24:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Do it right the first time get the BUSHY BETTER STEEL .
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 2:43:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

So...what makes the BM better exactly? (I'm a total newB to AR's, so feel free to talk dumb to me)

Also, are all BM barrels chrome lined or is that an extra option?

I like [url=http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/barrel-assemblies/pbbl-16a.asp]this[/url] BM barrel and also [url=http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/barrel-assemblies/pbbl16m4a.asp]this one[/url].

How are those barrels? What is the difference between the two other than the looks? More specifically, why does the patrolman's barrel have a varying diameter in the barrel, but the other one have a consistant diameter? Does that just make the patrolman's barrel lighter weight or something?

I was thinking that the 16" heavy barrel assy. with fluting would look really cool too. Go ahead and give me more input. Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 3:07:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

So...what makes the BM better exactly? (I'm a total newB to AR's, so feel free to talk dumb to me)

Also, are all BM barrels chrome lined or is that an extra option?

I like [url=http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/barrel-assemblies/pbbl-16a.asp]this[/url] BM barrel and also [url=http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/barrel-assemblies/pbbl16m4a.asp]this one[/url].

How are those barrels? What is the difference between the two other than the looks? More specifically, why does the patrolman's barrel have a varying diameter in the barrel, but the other one have a consistant diameter? Does that just make the patrolman's barrel lighter weight or something?

I was thinking that the 16" heavy barrel assy. with fluting would look really cool too. Go ahead and give me more input. Thanks for the help!
View Quote

The BM is made of 4150 steel.  The RRA is made of 4140 steel.  The BM is stronger.  However, if you aren't doing rapid or full auto fire, you won't notice it.  The stronger steel resists problems that may develop in the steel when exposed to high levels of heat.

All BM barrels, except stainles barrels, are chrome lined.

The "patrolman's carbine" barrel is a slightly longer version of the military M4 barrel.  It is light under the handguards and has a step down in front of the front sight (the RRA R4 also has this step down) to allow the attachemnt of an M203 grenade launcher.  It also makes for a lighter and handier rifle.

The heavy barrel is really just to save time and expense on manufacturing.  It also heats up slower than the M4/patrolman's rifle barels.  However, it will cool slower when it does heat up.  

The fluted barrels will give a good combination of weight, cooling capabilities, and rigidity.  

The choice is yours.  If you are doing slow, aimed fire, an RRA R4 or a BM HBAR will probably serve you extremely well.  If you think you will use this for home defense, tactical work or tactical shooting classes, or general SHTF a BM M4/patrolman's carbine barrel would be preferable for a wide combination of reasons.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 3:26:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 3:48:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the help guys. I don't think that I'm going to go with the dissipator barrel because I don't like the long hand guards and just a small amount of barrel sticking out of the end. I think that I'll probably go with the 16" heavy barrel and get it fluted.

If it isn't obvious, my second most important concern is looks LOL. 1st being the quality of the barrel and it sounds like I can't go wrong with the BM barrels. I like the look of the fluted barrels and short "carbine" length handgrips, so the 16" heavy barrel looks like the winner unless someone can give me a good reason to go with the patrolman's barrel over a fluted heavy barrel.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 4:42:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a RRA heavy M-4 chrome lined barrel on a Pre-Ban Colt.

and

The Bushy Patrolmans Carbine M-4 barrel chrome lined on a Post-Ban Franken AR.

Both are 1 in 9 twist

The Bushy barrel is easier on me due to the weight, the RRA is a bear to tote far.

Since you won't be doing rapid fire or auto, I'd go with the Bushy Patrolmans Carbine barrel.

YMMV

Danny
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 5:04:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I have one of RRA M4 barrels with the fake flash hider. It is very acurrate
I like it so much,I even thought about getting another one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top