Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2006 12:07:10 PM EDT

There have been a couple of comments in other threads recommending that persons send out their barrels for profiling to a certain desired contour or weight.

There are two shops that offer that service that are often seen posting here. One is ADCO and the other is AR15barrels.Com.  As it just so happens I have recently sent a barrel to each of these shops for contouring work. I guess that makes me eminently qualified to comment on both.  h
AR15Barrels.Com

I sent them a 16" DPMS heavy contour bull barrel to have turned down to their 'Ultra Light' profile, plus thread the muzzle for flash suppressor. The work done here was substantial. Probably 80% of the barrel was turned into chips. The result was outstanding, a nice shoulder was left for the gas block to sit against, as well as a smaller shoulder for the flash suppressor to butt up against. As the worked preformed was done exactly as described in their on-line pricing the listed price was charged, no hidden or extra charges, fees or whatever.  

I was happy with the work preformed by both shops and can readily recommend both.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:28:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Good to hear, I will be needing some profiling work done soon.
thanks for the review.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:30:42 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks for the great post!  I have a question for either AR15 barrels.com or ADCO: How light under the handguards on a Stainless midlength barrel can one go and still maintain accuracy (Currently HBAR)  under moderate fire 10-15 sustained shots.  Is .750 too thin or would something like .830  be better?  I would like to get the weight of the barrel down to 30-32 oz.

thanks
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:53:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Steve and Randall are both top notch guys that care about doing it right...

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:04:54 PM EDT
[#4]
ttech...WOA turned down their heavy barrel to .75 without blinking an eye...however they strongly objected .70 as being to thin
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:06:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had profiling done by ADCO and KKF, and threading done by Randall...  I have always been very impressed with Steve's work and customer service, and Randall of ar15barrels.com has recently shown me that he goes above and beyond as well...  I wouldn't hesitate to use ADCO or AR15barrels.com again in the future.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:28:02 PM EDT
[#6]
ADCO rocks  very helpful definately will use them again
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:27:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Was there an effect on shot to shot accuracy in either case?  What about POI shift?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:13:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:41:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Was there an effect on shot to shot accuracy in either case?  What about POI shift?  Thanks.

We'll never know. The barrel sent to ADCO is for my curent build. The rifle is not yet finished and the barrel was not fired prior the machine work.

The DPMS barrel was on a varmit style 16" gun that the owner turned into a Precision Rifle with a 20" Colt barrel. The now ultralight barrel will be going on a new build for it's owner, a light weight carbine that will include just the bare essentials.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:47:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Just remember it's not wise to make a Stainless barrel as skinny as you can with Carbon steel.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:04:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
How light under the handguards on a Stainless midlength barrel can one go and still maintain accuracy (Currently HBAR)  under moderate fire 10-15 sustained shots.  Is .750 too thin or would something like .830  be better?  

I had my SS RRA middy turned under the HGs by my local 'smith.  I asked for "govt profile" and expected ~.63" but he stopped at .70" because it was stainless.  I don't have enough "before and after" data to tell if it changed the accuracy, but if it did the change was not huge.   BTW, I would consider .83" to still be an HBAR.  My Colt HBAR is only .875" under the HGs.  (The RRA was  closer to 1" IIRC.)

Question for Onslaught (or anyone else who's used Adco):
How was their reparking?  I want to send that post-ban Colt HBAR in to be turned into a no-ban Govt profile.  The local 'smith did nice work on the SS barrel, but when he said his refinish is a "matte blue" that made me a little worried.  Will the Adco refinish match my original color/spec?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:30:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top