Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2009 7:08:14 PM EDT
I'm a new to the Militec stuff. It's now the 3rd application and i'm really not used to seeing the moving parts that dry. Is it ok to put a little CLP on the Bolt + BCG ... just to make sure my rifle will operate adequately ?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 7:17:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I have always been told by both the Army when they used it and by the Manufacturer that you SHOULD NOT MIX Militec with any other lubricant. I witnessed a guy on the range mix Militec and CLP. I t turned a blueish color and changed consistancy to an elmers like goop. Turned a decent m16 to a jam-o-matic.
My advice- don't mix. If you want to run it wet, just use the Militec as you normally would the Break Free.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 9:14:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Militec is as much a dry lube as the gear oil in your differential is.  Would you run that dry?

In addition, the chemicals in Militec are not very reactive with aluminum so don't buy any one's marketing about "metal treatments" when it comes to that metal.  It is much more reactive to steel.

And don't bother hair dryering it either...
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:24:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I've mixed it, and it didn't have any changes in consistency.

If it did have a problem it wouldn't work for it's other main purpose, being a metal conditioner for use added to your engine oil. http://www.militec-1.com/index.html
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:02:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Militec is as much a dry lube as the gear oil in your differential is.  Would you run that dry?

In addition, the chemicals in Militec are not very reactive with aluminum so don't buy any one's marketing about "metal treatments" when it comes to that metal.  It is much more reactive to steel.

And don't bother hair dryering it either...

Not sure about you, but I did a before and after comparison on a new BCM bolt carrier group, and it advertising came true. It was much slicker once applying some militec and shooting 500 rounds. Just my .02cents. As well, Larry Vickers likes the stuff, Militec doesn't endorse him.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 7:42:44 AM EDT
[#5]
It was much slicker once applying some militec and shooting 500 rounds.

Normal break in had nothing to do with this of course...   And BCG is steel, not aluminum.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 7:50:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Avoid mixing lubes, there is always a chance of incompatibility, which results in reactions that break down one or the other, or both, lubes and creates problems.  Yes, its rare, and if you "KNOW" the lubes are compatible, it is NOT a problem.  If there are warning NOT to mix Miltec with others lube, if that is true, I would follow the warning, sounds like the MilTec is NOT compatible with a lot of other lubes, judging from the results one person posted.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top